Chevy/GMC Heavy Duty Discuss your 2500 and 3500 Chevy and GMC pickups as well as the DURAMAX diesel and it's predecessors

pulling power tests?

Old 02-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Beginner
Default pulling power tests?

okay, getting ready to hit the road on a long trek. New to camping, new to truck. With everyones help from site and test runs to area campgrounds ready to go.
History: 1995 Chevy 3500 Turbo 6.5 diesel Trailer 27' Fifth wheel.
Still worried about "hauling".
Florida is flat!!! I want to go west where there are mountains in AK, Texas and maybe the rockies. Is there any test where I can take the Chevy to see what the pulling capacity is?
I am starting to see the chevy's personality and I think she is made to haul and hates to go to the Malls and shop.
But I really dont know. My trial runs have been close to home so I had complete peace of mind, now not so much.

Plus OMG diesel fuel prices that is another thread..
So to repeat myself. I would like to see if there is a way to check out my Chevy and see if she is prepared to pull me through my cross county trek.
Thanks so much to all that apply to my newbie questions.
Mrs. Quibble

Old 02-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Administrator

I have a few question.
Is your truck equipped with a transmission temperature gauge
or a Pyrometer (exhaust temperature gauge)?

Have you set up your electric trailer brakes so the truck and trailer are equally and evenly sharing all the braking pressure?

Old 02-18-2013, 10:37 PM

As Glenn pointed out I HIGHLY recommend getting the three main gauges.
-EGT, Exhaust Gas Temperature gauge(pyrometer or pyro)
-Turbo boost gauge, only need 0-30psi as a 6.5 runs less than 10psi of boost
-Transmission temperature gauge--if it has an automatic transmission

Things to do:
-drain and refill rear axle with synthetic fluid
-trans flush if history unknown
-check cooling system, condition of coolant, pull top of the fan shroud and check for blockage between the radiator and a/c condensor from leaves/dirt etc(easy to do)
-filters, fuel and air. Make extra sure the air filter panel seals properly to the air box

The 6.5TD is known to blow open the wastegate on the turbo and loose boost around 24-2500+ RPM. When boost falls off the EGTs WILL climb and if not watched you can cause engine damage(ie melted piston). In the mountains going up hill or into a stiff head wind drive by the gauges not the speedometer. You may find the coolant temp or EGTs are running too high to maintain the speed you think you should. You WILL be passed by many newer trucks pulling bigger trailers but don't worry about it, they are in a totally different league than our 6.5TDs.

Did you end up getting new tires for the truck?

Old 02-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Beginner

The trailer and truck breaks are in sinc, got all the filters, trans flush, a/c, etc. Got all new tires. Husband said he is not going have the three guages installed. Looks like March 3 or 4 will be our departure date. I will keep yall posted and hope I dont have any emergency questions along the way. thx

Old 02-23-2013, 08:39 PM

My family drove all over the US and Canada with a 98 with a 5.7 gas engine. Just take it slow on the big hills, and shift the tranny down a gear or two on the colum when climbin and slow down a bit. Dont have to pull over pink mountian going 70.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by oliverquibble
The trailer and truck breaks are in sinc, got all the filters, trans flush, a/c, etc. Got all new tires. Husband said he is not going have the three guages installed. Looks like March 3 or 4 will be our departure date. I will keep yall posted and hope I dont have any emergency questions along the way. thx
Good luck and keep us posted!
I recommend he gets a EGT gauge minimum, it is a gauge that even the big rigs and dump trucks run. When pulling long grades with my 6.5TD there are times I have to back out of the throttle to keep the temps in check.