Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

@#$#@$^ wheel bearings melted my abs sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 08:40 AM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator
Default @#$#@$^ wheel bearings melted my abs sensor

just like the subject says it really@#$#@% me off so now I need to know how to unplug the wheel sensor and where any one got any ideas?

97 suburban 2wd

Old 02-06-2009, 09:47 AM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: @#$#@$^ wheel bearings melted my abs sensor

I do not know if this helps or not, but I know on my buddies 2001 he replaced the whole wheel hub with bearings and it came with the speed sensor. Good Luck.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:28 AM

yeah this one unbolts seperately from the hub....I would think there is a plug somewhere that you can replace each one seperatly

Old 02-06-2009, 11:01 AM
TruckForum Addict

Did the wheel bearings get so hot that it melted the sensor? If so I think you should replace the whole hub... unless I am misunderstanding. As far as unpluging the sensor there has got to be a plug in the wire leading to it somewhere I would imagine. Surely you would not have to cut and splice.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:47 PM

Howz THIS project goin'?

Old 02-07-2009, 10:16 PM

this one went well untill tonight ..............I actually had a brake fire[:@]I thought it was kind of odd that the wheel bearings showed very little wear....the cause of the brake fire was a stuck caliper as best as I can tell....I will post pics tomorrow when I "dig" into this one....good thing calipers are cheap....oh and I cant find a ABS sensor any where they all seem to be on back order from the manufacturer [:'(]so I go with out abs for a little bit I guess

Old 02-08-2009, 10:01 PM

well heres what I found when I tore it apart................................again!!!!!!!! !!!
Name:  Photo0106.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  76.0 KB
Name:  Photo0107.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  70.7 KB
Name:  Photo0109.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  74.3 KB

Old 02-08-2009, 11:15 PM

awwwwwwwwwww DAYAM dude. Caliper AND rotor. Any damage to wheel cylinder/brake lines/shocks?

Old 02-09-2009, 08:17 AM

no everything else was fine.....it was a very small fire.....it started at the caliper and I caught it in time and hit it with the extinguisher(now I gotta buy a new one) the nice thing is that it happened on my way home...in front of myhouse!!!!!!! I guessIm just lucky

Old 02-13-2009, 10:35 PM

Well Well Well I thought I was the only one who had this happen to me! My ABS sensor burnt up while I was driving and the ABS locked up on the rode luckly there was no one behind me. The bearings went out friciton, heat you know the deal. I replaces the hub and it comes with an ABS cable and plug for me 2006 Silverado so it should close or the same. it's not really a problem if it didnt hurt anything else. A word to the wise replace BOTH hub if you replace one because odds are the other side will being going out soon too. If the caliper is sticking that could be caused by air in the lines, Also on my truck I have floating bolts that hold the caliper around the rotor but I would check because on older trucks and cars that is where yu adjust the caliper if it is rubbing.

Quick Reply: @#$#@$^ wheel bearings melted my abs sensor