Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 Silverado No Power Steering or Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Beginner
Default 01 Silverado No Power Steering or Brakes

Hey guys, how are you? My name's Andy, this is my first post and it's a question/issue with my 2001 Silverado 2500HD LT w/8.1 and Allison. The truck has about 70k on it. It doesn't get driven much, only about 13k in 3 1/2 years.

Here's the story. A few weeks ago, I get in to take the truck to the dump. When I put the truck in gear, it moves about 10-15 feet then goes into neutral and the Drive light on the instrument panel flashes. It won't move unless you drop it into 3, 2, or 1. So you're constantly shifting back and forth just to get the thing to move. I took it for a drive on a back road and it seemed to be getting better.

Here's where it gets tricky. As I'm pulling into the driveway, I notice that it gets hard as hell to steer all of a sudden. Then, I can barely stop. So I have no power steering and no power brakes, but the trans issue is gone. I have no clue. I've owned this truck almost four years and it's never given me an issue. I've checked electrical connections, fuses, all the obvious stuff.There was a CEL on when the trans was acting up, but now that's gone.

Anybody got any ideas? I'm completely open at this point. I work at a dealership, but it's about 40 miles away and the tow part is an issue. Besides, we're a Hyundai dealer. Sorry this is so long guys, thanks in advance!

Old 05-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Beginner
Default RE: 01 Silverado No Power Steering or Brakes

So after I posted this, I see the related threads below my thread. So the power steering pump may be shot causing both issues? This still doesn't explain the trans issue.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:01 PM

any p/s fluid in it?...and sometimes,like when bogging in sand,the p/s pump shaft can shear...i'd look there.

the trans problem is seperate

Old 05-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Beginner

It sounds like you got the power steering pump issue. When you trans was doing the slip thing, I was nailing the gas pretty hard and spinning alot. So a new p/s pump would fix that issue I guess.

A side note on the trans issue. The abs light and brake light come on right before the trans comes out of gear. Does this shed any light for anyone?

Old 05-05-2008, 11:04 PM

If its a 2500hd it most likely has the power booster on the brakes that also controls the power steering. Ive seen these things go out quite a bit on older and newer model trucks. I believe they call itthe hydrobooster its in the spot the master cylinder would normally be. I would say the trans issue is a problem all in its own but I would be willing to bet money on the brake and power steering problem being in that hydrobooster!

Old 05-21-2008, 09:39 PM
Beginner

Anybody replaced the power steering pump or hydrobooster in one of these trucks? I've only done basics on this truck like brakes, etc. I live a good distance from the dealership and am trying to save some cash thinking I'll just do it myself.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:38 AM

not easy by any means...the pump pulley has to switched over to the new pump..

is the pump shot?

Old 05-22-2008, 05:51 AM
Beginner

Don't know for sure yet. How can you tell without tearing it apart? It seems like the problem from the responses here and what my mechanic thinks w/out looking at it. I have no idea about the hydrobooster or how to check that either.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:25 AM

If they hydrobooster is bad you will have no brake pedal when you push it the pedal will go all the way to the floor. Also when you try and steer you will have no power steering. It has a resevior sitting right on top of it just like a brake master cylinder. Check that to make sure the fluid level is good. If not then there is prolly an issue there. Just as a general "try the easiest solutions first" If its empty fill it with fluid and you may need to bleed the brakes and this could fix that problem. Something to think about though is that this controls both power steering and brakes so you may need to go through the bleeding cycle a couple times before it actually gets all the air out!