Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

01 Silverado random shut-off

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Beginner
Default 01 Silverado random shut-off

Hey guys, I have a 2001 Silverado 2500HD with the 8.1 motor. I've had this problem for a few years now, but recently it's gotten worse. Basically at start up or driving down the road I lose all electrical power. Typically after tightening the positive terminal even a little, I have power again. I know the battery is good. I've taken apart the battery terminals and cleaned them up. There is absoultely no residue or corrosion. I've started the truck and shook every possible section of the harness looking for a bad connection or ground and couldn't duplicate the issue. It's extremely frustrating!! And a few nights ago it left my wife stranded with our 3 kids and she couldn't get it restarted. The next morning, it starts right up.

Has anyone seen or heard of this before? One thing I read on another forum said that the terminal bolt may be the wrong size? Hard to believe but I'd look into it if that was even a possibility. Both the positive and negative seem very tight. Any help or ideas I'm willing to try. The truck is currently at my work and I'm scared of trying to drive it the 35 miles home over all the mountains and have it shut off.

Thanks,

Andy

Old 06-21-2012, 01:01 PM
TMW

I think you have a bad cable or connection from the battery to the electrical center next to the battery where the fuses are. If I understand you correctly it sometimes won't turn over when trying to start and sometimes when driving you lose all electrical and the engine shuts down and the truck stops. You have two cables on the positive battery connection, one goes directly to the starter and the other goes to the fuse box. If there is a problem with the one to the fuse box you will not be able to start it nor will you have any electrcal in the truck.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:14 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Does the truck have a double positive battery terminal?