Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

1987 tbi 5.7 Gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 08:26 PM
Beginner
Default 1987 tbi 5.7 Gremlins

Throttle Body Injected 350.

Rebuilt 1800 miles ago. Ran engine hot after blowing upper radiator hose, and reloaded radiator without the engine running.....yea i know.

blew out all the water out drivers exhaust, so pulled that head and replaced the gasket (that had blown out the center divider). torqued the head to spec after getting it milled back flat.

got it timed, and valves adjusted. At idle, little bit of blue smoke out passenger exhaust, but engine sounds like all is well so make a test run. give gas like normal, and there is a small stumble but nothing i can't peddle through. I'm thinking maybe a small vacuum leak, but no biggie to fix so another trip around the block. as the motor starts making heat i'm having to keep gas and brake through the stop signs to keep it running and maybe i'm loosing power. climbing 180 degrees, engine wont stay running. is only starting back after more turning over than my starter is appreciating and is engine is wanting to bind up like cylinders are full of fluid or timing is out. finally getting it started again with pedal to the floor. trying to limp home, temp is between 2 and 220. engine dies again and so does battery.

tow home..... ill and done for the day.

next morning it fires up like it's ready for a sunday drive. recheck and timing looks good. slight blue smoke coming from passenger side at idle. Hit the road, and get the whole senerio with it dying after heating up again.

compression test. drivers bank 110-120 lbs across the board. passenger side, first plug fills tester with gasoline. remove air filter and see passenger side injector is loading up the intake out the top of itself every time fuel pump comes on. Disconnect fuel pump, finish pulling plugs, blow out cylinders, and finish testing passenger bank - is the same @ 110-120.

What all do i have going on here and what other info do you need to help diagnose?

Old 03-27-2015, 10:46 PM
Administrator

I won't pretend to know a ton about the innerworkings of the motor, but I would definitely start out by checking/replacing your thermostat. With the pressure it's been under it may be toast- your truck shouldn't be running over 200 degrees. At 196 the thermostat should open and allow coolant into the engine. From there I would start by taking a can of carb cleaner and completely cleaning out the throttle body. It's amazing how those old TBI engines gunk up, and quickly.

I had a 92 5.7 (same engine, different body) and I had to clean out the TB pretty often to avoid an eratic idle. Even my 02 Honda Accord requires the Throttle body be cleaned or it will refuse to idle until it gets up to temperature- it just dies as soon as I let off the gas.

Hopefully this info isn't completely useless, I would imagine that one of our engine guys will be able to chime in soon

Old 03-27-2015, 11:05 PM
Beginner

confused over this all the gas that was out of the top of the injector. surely something isn't right there, but maybe that's what they do.

will spray tb with cleaner and see if this helps

Old 03-31-2015, 06:03 PM
Beginner

Have done alot of tinkering.... update.

injectors working properly, and have fire at the plugs.

nipple on underside of distributor cap was gone and not sure how it was even running / making contact with rotor button. replaced cap

finally got started but had to hold it to the floor in order to make that happen. sounded like it was running on only a couple cylinders, then finally a few more with a halfway decent idle with some gas, and dies unless have some pressure on the gas pedal. wedged pedal and got under the hood with some starter fluid but couldn't find any intake leaks. was expecting to

will start back up, idling rough and feeling like its missing, if i do it right then and apply slight pedal pressure. but if i wait a while, it's back to having to WOT to get it to start and only goes on a few cylinders initially.

Any ideas ?

Old 03-31-2015, 08:49 PM
Beginner

touched exhaust manifolds. #2,5,&7 weren't up to temp. pulled those wires off distributor while running with no change in idle. put wires back on dist. cap, pulled spark plugs and connected wires back to them laying them on top of ex. manifolds. started and have spark at the plugs. reinstalled plugs and started with no change.

open to suggestions plz

Old 03-31-2015, 10:15 PM
Beginner

code 15. code 33

Old 04-05-2015, 02:11 PM
Beginner

found vacuum leak. is a electronic piece on top of manifold inbetween throttle body and thermostat. delco remy unit. what is it, what's it do, and how shoud it be properly plumbed ?