Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

1991 Chevy 1500 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Thumbs down 1991 Chevy 1500 Problems

Hello. This is my first post, I did some searching and am still not sure what the cause of my problem is. So here it is.

While im in gear (R or D) and sitting still, it will idle perfectly. But as soon as I give it a little bit of gas (to slowly start driving, backing out of my driveway, etc) the idle will drop and kind of choke out, usually resulting in my tires spinning as I give it a little more gas to keep it from dying. It has died from this a couple of times, usually if im slowly driving up my driveway with little acceleration, than letting of the gas will result in it dying. But that doesnt happen often.

Another problem with this "choking" is if im driving and say I need to pass somebody, if I give it alot of gas to accelerate quickly, it chokes out, doesn't have much power, and just sounds awful.

Thank you VERY much for anybodys help.

PS: Also, I was wondering if anybody knows what fuse controls the cigarette lighter, or if there could be another cause for it to stop working.
Thanks again

Old 09-30-2009, 06:26 PM
TruckForum Addict

I do not have an answer about the choking part, but I think the cigarette lighter is on the radio fuse. If the radio is still working check the connectionon the rear of the cigarette lighter to be sure it is plugged up. If I am wrong then someone will correct me.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:31 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Throttle Position Sensor maybe?

Old 10-01-2009, 03:22 AM

Anybody else got any ideas?

Old 10-01-2009, 08:02 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Few ideas:

Have you pulled your plugs to see if your in a lean or rich condition when it "chokes out".
I had a Early 90's Suburban that was doing something similiar and it was vacuum related. There was a vacuum line coming off the throttle body that had become weak and was collapsing.
Check your timing - also make sure that your electronic advance is plugged in. That is the wire that you unplug when setting the timing. Some are under the glove box and others are under the black plastic cover on the firewall on the passengers side.
Did this just start occuring or is this truck new to you and has always done it?
Do you have any trouble codes?
Does your Check Engine Light still work (alot of people pull the bulbs when they are trying to sell something that has an issue)?
How does your injector spray look? You should be able to look at it with the air cleaner assmble off and see a nice conical spray. Both should look the same.
Just a few ideas.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:47 PM

Thanks Shamrock. I'm certainly no vehicle mechanic or wiz, I don't know much beside the basics, but i'll do my best to search and figure out how to check everything you mentioned.

I just bought this truck about 2-3 months ago, and it's been having the problem since I bought it. My check engine light does work, I only know that because it just happened to light up the other night, but only for about 20 minutes. I parked my truck to go into the store, and it hasn't came back on since.

Again thank you very much, i'm hoping to atleast find out the problem myself so I don't have to take it into a shop just yet. I'm broke

Edit: I hate admitting it, but i'm not too sure on how to check the electronic advance plug, and injector spray. Also is there a way to check my vacuum? I'm hoping it's just a vacuum leak, which I would imagine would be a rather easy fix. Thank you again Shamrock, and anyone else.

Last edited by viperboy55; 10-01-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Even if your check engine light is no longer on it will store the code and that might lead you in the right direction. Take it to the nearest auto parts store and they will read the code for you.
Now that I know your check engine light is working it won't be the advance plug. As far as checking the injector spray, just take your air cleaner assembly off and look inside the throttle body while it is running. There are 2 injectors in there and you will see the fuel spraying out of them. You can give it a little gas from the lever on the side of the throttle body and you want to look for a consistant cone shaped fuel spray. If it is irradic than you may have an injector or at least some sort of fuel issue. As far as checking the vacuum I would just inspect all the lines coming off the throttle body and make sure they are in good shape and aren't collapsing or deteriorating. Also just listen for a vacuum leak. I'm hoping that the trouble code reading will lead you in the right direction. Good Luck!