Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

1991 Sierra Starts then quits

Old 07-08-2009, 12:22 AM
Default 1991 Sierra Starts then quits

Started my 1991 Sierra 4x4 and the engine quits after ten seconds. Sometimes it will run for upt to 30 seconds before stopping. Where do I start?

Old 07-08-2009, 07:10 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I would start it with the air cleaner off and observe the fuel spray out of the injectors. It should be a very uniform cone shaped spray. You could even get some starting fluid and see if it will stay running if you spray it in the throttle body as it starts to die. Don't use it for a long time or spray too much, but just see if you can get it to stay running a little longer. This will tell you if it is fuel related. If it stays running with the spray I would start by getting a fuel pressure reading. It could be as simple as a fuel filter. Unfortunately we have to do a little trial and error first. Always start with the simple free things first or it can get expensive - trust me I know first hand. Let us know what you find.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:43 PM

Changed the filter and it seems to work once I worked the fuel through.

Thanks

Old 07-08-2009, 08:29 PM

Great! Hope you stick around on the forum!

Old 07-10-2009, 10:27 AM

Ok the problem is back. Tried to start the truck yesterday and it starts but dies after 5-10 seconds with a new fuel filter.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Need to check fuel pressure with a guage.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:08 PM
Default Big Vin Needs Big Help In Las Vegas!

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
I would start it with the air cleaner off and observe the fuel spray out of the injectors. It should be a very uniform cone shaped spray. You could even get some starting fluid and see if it will stay running if you spray it in the throttle body as it starts to die. Don't use it for a long time or spray too much, but just see if you can get it to stay running a little longer. This will tell you if it is fuel related. If it stays running with the spray I would start by getting a fuel pressure reading. It could be as simple as a fuel filter. Unfortunately we have to do a little trial and error first. Always start with the simple free things first or it can get expensive - trust me I know first hand. Let us know what you find.
Hi Mr_Sharock!

Hoping you can help me kind Sir!

I have my 1991 K1500 Silverado with just shy of 300K miles on it for the last two years. Up until a week ago it ran fine and then I ran into the following: Starts up, idles and then dies after ten or so minutes. I look around on the forums and replaced the following:

1) Replaced fuel filter
2) Replaced entire fuel pump assembly, what a pain this was.
3) Confirmed that injectors are spraying, stuck my fingers underneath both injectors and both are spraying.
4) Bled fuel line going into carb, I did this after I replaced both the fuel pump and fuel filter.
5) Inspected lines, no visible kinks in any of the fuel lines.
6) Verified that the distributor was working from center post to ground, I saw the spark.
7) Verified that each cylinder was getting a spark, from plug cover to ground, I saw the spark.
8) Tested alternator while it was running and it was delivering a 14.8V charge to the battery, the it dropped to 12.65V after it quit.

I was really proud of myself given that it took me nearly six hours to complete with a friend helping, but, my proudness was quickly squashed when the exact same thing happened again, even after all of this work.

Knowing that it’s not a fuel or fuel delivery problem and possibly not even electrical what the heck am I looking at here? My friend suggested that the ECM may be bad since it just quits immediately and also that the distributor may be bad (but I saw a spark). Do you have any suggestions as to where I can begin to look elsewhere, at this point I am physically and mentally exhausted but I love this truck and don’t want to let it go, can you please help me out here?

Thanks for even taking the time to read this!

Big Vin

Old 06-18-2011, 10:18 PM
TruckForum Addict

Originally Posted by Vegasvince
Hi Mr_Sharock!

Hoping you can help me kind Sir!

I have my 1991 K1500 Silverado with just shy of 300K miles on it for the last two years. Up until a week ago it ran fine and then I ran into the following: Starts up, idles and then dies after ten or so minutes. I look around on the forums and replaced the following:

1) Replaced fuel filter
2) Replaced entire fuel pump assembly, what a pain this was.
3) Confirmed that injectors are spraying, stuck my fingers underneath both injectors and both are spraying.
4) Bled fuel line going into carb, I did this after I replaced both the fuel pump and fuel filter.
5) Inspected lines, no visible kinks in any of the fuel lines.
6) Verified that the distributor was working from center post to ground, I saw the spark.
7) Verified that each cylinder was getting a spark, from plug cover to ground, I saw the spark.
8) Tested alternator while it was running and it was delivering a 14.8V charge to the battery, the it dropped to 12.65V after it quit.

I was really proud of myself given that it took me nearly six hours to complete with a friend helping, but, my proudness was quickly squashed when the exact same thing happened again, even after all of this work.

Knowing that it’s not a fuel or fuel delivery problem and possibly not even electrical what the heck am I looking at here? My friend suggested that the ECM may be bad since it just quits immediately and also that the distributor may be bad (but I saw a spark). Do you have any suggestions as to where I can begin to look elsewhere, at this point I am physically and mentally exhausted but I love this truck and don’t want to let it go, can you please help me out here?

Thanks for even taking the time to read this!

Big Vin

welcome to the forum
i am goin thru this samething mine stays running thow
but sometimes it wants to die at idle and while braking and turning
check your vacum lines goin to your throttle body to do that get some brake cleaner or wd40 and spray one line at a time while the engine is running
then if the engine starts to change idel its that hose
i did this today and found out that all mine need replaced
also check your throttle body gasket to do this spray some brake cleaner and or wd40 at the bottom of the tbi if it sputters down its that

hope this helps

Old 06-18-2011, 10:25 PM

You could have ignition module in the distributor going bad when it runs long enough to get it hot. It will kill the truck instantly when it malfunctions. When it dies does it start back up right away or does it have to cool down?

Also a temp sensor can cause this although usually they will sputter before shutting down. Are you getting a check/service engine light?

Last edited by Mr_Shamrock; 06-18-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:30 PM
TruckForum Addict

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
You could have ignition module in the distributor going bad when it runs long enough to get it hot. It will kill the truck instantly when it malfunctions. When it dies does it start back up right away or does it have to cool down?

Also a temp sensor can cause this although usually they will sputter before shutting down. Are you getting a check/service engine light?

i have replaced the temp sensor and i jsut replaced my altenator as a diod was bad as i found my battery gauge bob up and down like a bobber in water
also found out my battery is about to take a dump on me

and it starts back up every time

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1991 Sierra Starts then quits