Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

1995 Chevy Silverado 5.7l doesn't have spark

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Default 1995 Chevy Silverado 5.7l doesn't have spark

Hi, I'm purchasing a 1995 silverado 1500 5.7l ext cab from a friend and I'm having trouble getting the motor to fire up, so here is my story:

Someone who was with us incorrectly hooked up the battery charger to the car, while one person was trying to crank the motor over. Instantly the battery cable started to smoke and get hot so we turned it off and disconnected the battery. We went and bought a new battery, put it in, and the truck fired up and ran smooth and rich for about 4 minutes, then it died.
So we tried getting it to fire up with starting fluid...nothing.. put a new coil, new distributor, new ignition module, new plugs/wires/dist cap/ rotor..and still no spark at all from the plugs...does anyone know what this could be???

Old 02-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I assume you checked all fuses inside the cab and outside under the hood. When you turn the key on does the service engine light come on and then turn back off? I am wondering if the ECM was damaged from the battery charger.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:23 PM

I've checked all the fuse boxes already and everything looks good. Also I'm not getting a check engine light up on the dash, my only assumption is the ecm is fried or the ecs module is ruined

Old 02-01-2011, 05:25 PM

Did the truck have a service engine light before the charger mishap????

Old 02-01-2011, 06:20 PM

no, there was no engine light before the mishap. I talk to a technician at work and he is suspicious that the timing chain guides may have broken since they sat for a while, causing the oil pump not to turn the distributor/rotor...so what I need to do is check it without the cap on. The motor has a bout 74k original miles

Old 02-01-2011, 06:36 PM

I would pull the cluster to see if there is a bulb in the service engine slot. Plug a scan tool into it and see what comes up. Let us know what you find.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:30 AM

I pulled the cap off and the rotor still spins perefect. Today I will look for the check engine light and plug a scan tool in. Also, I never though of this before but I think it's possible the ignition switch (not tumbler) is failing.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:26 PM

check fuse link wires. They can blow not tell it sometimes .
Have to pull on them or check with a meter.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:22 PM

well, i truck fired up today after replacing the ignition switch attached to the ignition lock cylinder. The only problem is that the truck idles rough, I set the timing with the gun and it seems like it has a slight misfire in idle and it wants to cut out and die when put in gear. So tomorrow I'm going to make sure that the wires were put in the correct order on the cap (since a couple diff people have touched it and removed them) I'm sure this has to be the problem, it's my only logical explanation especially after setting the timing with the gun and having all new parts.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:31 PM

Turns out the plug wires WERE in the wrong spot and the truck runs smooth! The only problem I'm having now is the truck has Horrible acceleration. In idle truck runs great, but as soon as I take it out for a spin the truck has hesitation trying to accelerate and has a strange hissing sound that dies slowly when you let off the gas. I replaced both the tps and map sensors and it still runs the same. Also, I've checked the vacuum lines and there are no sings of leaks. any ideas guys? Thank You

Quick Reply: 1995 Chevy Silverado 5.7l doesn't have spark