Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

1998 Sierra will NOT run

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 08:55 PM
Beginner
Default 1998 Sierra will NOT run

My 1998 will not run. It had always had cold start issues. The fuel pump had signs that signaled to me that it was going out. It finally did go out. I changed the fuel pump out over the weekend and now the new one will not work either. You should be able to hear it kick on, correct? They are pretty foolproof to install, so is there something else that could keeping it from starting?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:06 PM
Beginner

And does a bad fuel filter put more pressure on the pump?

Old 03-11-2015, 09:46 PM
TruckForum Addict

I would say that the pump needs to work slightly harder if the filter is bad, but you'll possibly just end up with less fuel pressure at the fuel rail. So, yes. That was my next question, did you replace the fuel filter?

Old 03-11-2015, 10:13 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by NullHead
I would say that the pump needs to work slightly harder if the filter is bad, but you'll possibly just end up with less fuel pressure at the fuel rail. So, yes. That was my next question, did you replace the fuel filter?
I have purchased one, I just need to put it on. I am just trying to figure out why my new fuel pump won't work.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:14 PM
TMW

Disconnect the fuel line to the engine and turn on the key and see if gas is coming out. Is it a TBI or seq rail? If TBI pull the air filter and pour a little gas in and if it fires for a moment you'll know it's a gas problem. I had a 91 chevy that blew the fuse that powered the pump and the clutch in the auto tranny. The 700R4 tranny clutch wires were shorting out blowing the fuse. It was a 5 amp but a 10 amp would work OK. I found it when I changed the tranny filter. Just a thought.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:07 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by TMW
Disconnect the fuel line to the engine and turn on the key and see if gas is coming out. Is it a TBI or seq rail? If TBI pull the air filter and pour a little gas in and if it fires for a moment you'll know it's a gas problem. I had a 91 chevy that blew the fuse that powered the pump and the clutch in the auto tranny. The 700R4 tranny clutch wires were shorting out blowing the fuse. It was a 5 amp but a 10 amp would work OK. I found it when I changed the tranny filter. Just a thought.
We tried something similar to that if I am ubderstanding you roght. We unhooked it before the fuel filter and nothing came out. What was funny though was that I just took the tank down again and it looked like fuel was up in the hose on the fuel pump itself.

I did pour a little gas in and it sputtered then died, so it is indeed a gas problem then.