Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

1999 GMC Sierra Pickup has no reverse...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 11:25 PM
Default 1999 GMC Sierra Pickup has no reverse...

I have a 1999 GMC Sierra. Today I was pulling in a carwash and I heard this whining noise, I pulled in the wash and when I put it in reverse, no reverse only a whining noise, it would go forward in 1st through 4th, but also made the same whining noise.

I didn’t take it back out on the road, but rather had it loaded on a flatbed and dropped off at my mechanics.

Its got 94,000. mi but is in excellent condition for a 99’. 5.3L Vortec.

My question is the tranny a 4L60e? Also if it needs to be rebuilt or replaced what can I expect the cost to be?

Old 05-27-2010, 07:02 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Yeah you have a 4l60E and I wouldn't pay more than $1500, but you might be able to find it a couple hundred cheaper. Most importantly use a reputable shop that gives a decent (at least a year) warranty in writing. Also make them put on the invoice everything they are doing. All too many times trans shops just replace what is broken and don't do a complete rebuild, but they damn sure charge for one. Good luck man!

Old 05-27-2010, 02:27 PM

Thinking about replacing with a Jasper. Would that be a good idea?

Old 05-27-2010, 03:03 PM

I have never priced them, but a good friend of mine is a lead tech for a city motorpool and they use them and he has had very good luck with them. Would that be cheaper than rebuilding yours? One thing I would recommend is using the sun gear they call "The Beast" that is a weak link on the 4L60E's.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:58 PM

Just got the price for Jasper installed is $2700, not cheaper than a rebuild but better warranty = 3 years / 100,000 mi. vrs. 1 year for the rebuild.

I also called Jasper and they said they do upgrades to the oem ver of the transmission, looks like there are 15 of them they list, this is one, possibly the one you are referring to:

1) The latest design sun shell is installed. This design is more
durable than the original design which could sometimes break and lead
to no reverse or loss of 2nd or 4th gear.

Thanks for your replies.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:57 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

Have the tranny rebuilt!!!!!!!!!!! reverse is the hardest gear for a tranny to use...at 90k you are better off paying a little more the first time then less now and more later......I had mine done for $750 with all the new upgrades.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by chrisbmo2000
Have the tranny rebuilt!!!!!!!!!!! reverse is the hardest gear for a tranny to use...at 90k you are better off paying a little more the first time then less now and more later......I had mine done for $750 with all the new upgrades.
To have it rebuilt was $1975. I don't get what you are saying, "Paying a little more the first time, then less now and more later."

Old 05-27-2010, 06:50 PM

That is a lot for a rebuild I think. I would shop around a little more.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:00 AM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by KennyB
To have it rebuilt was $1975. I don't get what you are saying, "Paying a little more the first time, then less now and more later."
what i was saying was dont just replace some parts just do the full rebuild with all the upgrades...........make sure you buy a new converter also...this is one of several weak parts in the 4L60E......and I have to agree with shamrock......shop around 1900 is alot for a rebuild...some times if you pull it its alot cheaper

Old 05-29-2010, 11:11 PM

I ordered the transmission from Jasper, going to have it installed by a local mechanic.

According to Jasper the tranny will have all the latest updates, there are like 15 of them listed, wouldn't this be a full rebuild with all the latest upgrades?

Will the new tranny come with a new converter? If not that is something else I will have to look into.

Also there is an option to get a new oil cooler, but the mech. says they clean then old one and use that.

Someone else told me that if you don't get a new oil cooler with the trans. that it would void the warranty, I have to call them and check this out.

Quick Reply: 1999 GMC Sierra Pickup has no reverse...