Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

2002 Chevy Silverado Fuel Pump Mystery

Old 01-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Unhappy 2002 Chevy Silverado Fuel Pump Mystery

Ok guys, I'm so frustrated and tired from dealing with my truck....I'm Googled out from searching for answers............Here is what happened and what I've done to fix it.

About three weeks before Christmas I started my truck and noticed that it was idling strange...like it was pulsating? It evened off and ran normal, and continued to run normal for the next two weeks.

I was driving into town and it sounded like it was running out of gas. I was low but I knew I had gas. It died and where it broke down there was no place to go except the ditch with my bed hanging in the road on a blind corner! I had someone bring me gas and it fired up, ran a few seconds and then died. It did this several more times and then stopped starting all together. I was towed home.

A friend came out and changed the fuel filter (to start with the easiest solution first) that did not do anything. After checking all the fuses and relays (all good), I bought a new fuel pump (aftermarket, I couldn't afford the GM one) and he installed it.

There was some confusion of the new wires being colored different but they thought they figured it out. After putting the truck back together the truck wouldn't start. Irritated, I had a mobile mechanic come out to test everything.....he was here for 2 minutes and said there was no power to the pump, either that or the pump was bad, took $80.00 and left. NO HELP

This past Saturday they came back to check things....AGAIN....dropped the tank and reversed the two black wires...the truck fired right up and ran for ove 5 minutes until we shut it off so he could put everything back together. As they did this, each step of the process he started the truck, each time it fired right up. After putting on the last tank strap he started the truck again.......it ran for about 1 minute and then died.......and refuesd to start.

Frustrated we called it a day. The next day they came out and dropped the tank again. He made sure all the wires were tight but said that it seemed like the blue butt connectors he used to splice the wires together didn't seem to be getting good contact. After removing all the connectors and taping each wire the truck fired right up again. While he was retaping I tried starting it again and it wouldn't start??? He came to the conclusion that this dang ORANGE wire (he said it was the ground for the pump) seem to be the problem. After putting everything back together and redoing the orange wire. The truck fired up over and over again.

I gave it a much needed bath and although nervous, drove into town. I had three stops to make, each time the truck started and drove great. When I got to my last stop, it wouldn't start only this time I had my kids and we were stranded in the pouring down rain.

I had to call my friend.......he wasn't too happy........he came out undid the orange wire and put it back together again....my truck fired right up??

What the heck is the problem..........I am now affraid to drive it. I live in rural Oregon and I'm so afraid of it doing it again and being stranded. When I went out this moring..........it fired right up but like I said, I am too afraid to drive it anywhere. What do you think?

In a perfect world I would take it to the dealer but.......I would've bought a GM pump but I don't think it's the pump. My husband has been stranded in New York, Boston and Georgia trying to get a load home but no such luck.......found out today he is going back to New York and wont be home for yet another 3 weeks! ! ! !

Does anyone have any suggestions???? Please.........I need my truck bad. I have rescue animals and need it to get hay, not to mention everything else.

Thank you, HR

Old 01-17-2011, 02:33 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I think you have figured out it is a wiring issue, but it is hard to diagnose this via the internet. There were a few years where the plug that goes to the fuel pump was faulty and there is a pigtail harness you can buy to splice in. Also the fact that originally you had 2 wires backwards could have hurt the pump or harness. I know you don't want to hear this but aftermarket pumps are a crap shoot. I am removing one today from my personal truck (guy I bought it from said he put the "expensive" factory unit in it just before I got it). Well he lied and it is a Carter pump that was only putting out 44 PSI when I need around 60. Check with your local dealer to see if there is a harness available. Good Luck!

Old 01-17-2011, 06:08 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

Also look at the fuel pump relay I had this problem also where the relay got "hot" and melted the power distro center a little so the relay wasnt making contact all the time. My theory is if you replace the pump you replace the relay also.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:11 PM
Default chevy Fuel Pump Mystery

Well, it started right up this moring but I didn't trust it so I stayed home. I went out a few minutes ago and..........wa la......no start. Good thing I didn't drive it.

This wire harness adapter??? It's just the wires? I will also replace the relay tomorrow and see if I can find the harness.

Thank you..............

Old 01-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Default 2002 Chevy Silverado Fuel Pump Mystery

I had one more question: I remember when they were installing the new pump when they pulled it out of the box on the very top of the pump there was a hole. We looked at the old factory pump and noticed there was not a hole but in the same spot where the hole was located on the new pump was a imprinted ring but it was just part of the plastic mold. The guys plugged the hole with a cap. Could the hole on the new pump be to relieve pressure? I am waiting for the manufacture of the aftermarket pump to call me back. If it is to vent pressure, how would water and drirt keep from going in the tank?.............I'm just grasping at straws here!

Old 01-18-2011, 06:10 PM

You may have hit on something with the vent. These are the kinds of problems you almost always have when you try to adapt a "universal" part. I know you have already spent a lot of time and money but you may just be throwing good after bad. Your best bet is to try to get it to a dealer or a reputable mechanic who can troubleshoot it properly and at least make sure everything is installed properly. Good luck. Let us know what you find.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:47 AM

Well, thank you all for your help. The distributor did call me back and although we had a language barrier, he said that the hole was for the sensor and my truck did not have that sensor nor did the factory pump. Because the pump didn't include a cap or plug for that hole, I think they just sent the wrong pump. We will buy and install a new pump................dang it! This will make the fourth time we had to drop the tank! ! !

Last edited by hallierose; 01-19-2011 at 09:49 AM.