Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

2004 chevrolet silverado 2500hd 4x4 whine noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 10:05 AM
Beginner
Smile 2004 chevrolet silverado 2500hd 4x4 whine noise

good morning everyone!,

i have a good one to start the day...last summer i bought this truck.runs great,drives great etc...it has 69,000 6.0L gas miles.but it has this terrrible whine...i have taken it to 3 different dealers..dealer one did a flush on the power steering pump.dealer 2 replaced the alternator(i made him take it off when it didnt fix it).then yesterdy dealer 3 replaced the power steering pump.now the sound is louder.it makes this wrrr sound and speeds up and down with the rpm.i think its related to the brakes.wwhen i push the brake pedal,i can push to the floor.then the sound is real loud and i can hear what sounds like fluid hissing.the belt tensioner was also replaced...could it be in my master cylinder or hydroboost???im ready to give up...i had one mechanic say "just learn to love it" any ideas?thanks

Old 01-18-2012, 01:05 PM

does it do it at idle? i no you said it when your driving now im saying keep it in park an give it some throttle an see what it does if it doesnt do it it could be your tranny whining or it could very well be a vacumme leak or some sort let me no what you discover after i told you what to do good luck with the truck -pat

Old 01-19-2012, 07:47 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Pull your belts and see if the noise is still there. You said the tensioner was replaced - which one & what about the idler pulley? You have 2 tensioners and 2 belts pull them both and see if the noise is gone.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Beginner

i am fixing to buy this same model, can you tell me what fuel mileage you get?

Old 01-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Beginner

had to the last mechanic twice this week.they pulled the serpentine belt and the sound was gone..they put on the first remn pump and the sound was louder than ever...he let me here for myself with his stethiscope and could here the sound in the front of the power steering pump...here is whats been replaced..the belt,ps pump(twice sor far both reman),idler pulley,belt tensioner(yesterday)..i can here the sound from the front o fpump...it is still loud,i am out tons of $$,and it still is louder than when i took it in...heres what we are doing this Tuesday>>my last gasp...i guess going to the chevy dealer wiil be my last resort..we are putting on a brand new,not reman GM pump to the tune of $250 and and a new oem pully for the pump>>>anyone got any ideas..fuel milea about 13.5

Old 01-28-2012, 09:59 PM
TruckForum Addict

I suspect it's the brake booster, if you say that it gets louder with the brake pedal depressed. Unplug the vacuum to the booster and plug the line, then start up the engine and see what it does.

Or is it hydroboost ...?

Old 01-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Beginner

hydroboost....it can get louder if i press pedal all the way to the floorit changes with the engine rpm...we have confirmed the noise goes away when we remove the serpentine belt

Old 10-25-2012, 11:44 PM
Beginner

I was curious as to if you ever had any luck with this, I'm having the same problem and am about to replace the power steering pump.

The only small difference is that my brakes for the most part seem normal (except when stopping quickly it seems I have no ABS although the light isn't on). When in park and maxing the steering to the left or right and increasing RPM's the whine is particularly loud.

Any input would be appreciated!

Old 10-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Beginner

For any who stumble on this thread like I did, I completed the steering pump change and the whine is gone! It was unbearable for so long, wish I had done it sooner!

Old 10-29-2012, 12:59 AM

Could be the A/C unit. Ive had all kinds of problems with those, on all kinds of trucks and cars. Now when ever I get a new truck, the first thing I do is just take off the A/C belt, and leave it off.

Quick Reply: 2004 chevrolet silverado 2500hd 4x4 whine noise