Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Oil Cosumption. How much is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:42 PM
Default Oil Cosumption. How much is too much?

I have a 2005 Silverado with the aluminum block 5.3L having a bit short of 70K miles on it and it's using enough oil that I have to add at least a quart between changes. Seems to have started about 1 and 1/4 years ago at about 60K miles. Can anyone offer good ideas on how much oil consumption is too much for this engine. My previous truck (2002 Silverado with the 5.3L engine that I purchased new) never used any noticeable amount of oil all the way up to 93K miles when it was totaled in a wreck and that's sort of why I'm concerned about this.

Before I bought this one with the aluminum block I checked around and everywhere I asked they told me this is the same engine I had in the other truck except that the block is aluminum with steel cylinder sleeves. The current truck was purchased used at about 34K miles. Carfax showed that all the maintenance was performed at a dealership and it was not reported to have been in any collisions. But I don't know for sure what was done to or with it before I bought it. I hope that answers the usual background questions that might apply.

I would also like very much to hear suggestions on common causes of oil consumption. As well as how to test/check for them. I don't see drips underneath the truck and don't notice blue smoke from the exhaust either.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Don

Old 01-31-2011, 07:32 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

My wife's 2002 Yukon used a little oil during the oil change before last. From the research I have done it seems to be fairly common and supposedly is a valve guide issue. It is a great truck beyond that and I just keep an eye on it. So the last oil change I substituted a quart of Lucas oil treatment for one of the quarts of oil. It is 200 miles away from its next oil change date and it is right on the money. I am not sure if the Lucas helped it or the different oil - I tend to use whatever is on sale at the time. This oil is Valvoline. Also during the time it burned the oil I pulled a trailer up from Florida and I have read that others notice more oil usage when pulling or hard driving. So as long as we know to check it I'm not going to sweat it - a few dollars between oil changes is well worth what the truck has to offer IMO.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:37 AM

You neglected to indicate your oil change interval. Personally I have never had a vehicle that did not use some oil after they had some miles on the clock. I have historically used a 3000 mile interval and .5 quart usage has been normal on everthing I have owned. After the miles get up in the 80-100k range I have seen 1 quart between changes. Aslong as it does not blow blue smoke while it is running, or leak, I am not worried about it. A puff of blue smoke at start up is valves stem seals and that will not hurt anything, just annoying but rather easily fixed. I do keep the oil topped off even if I add just 4-8 oz several times during the interval. It keeps the additive package fresh and keeps the volume of oil up to contain the contaminants.