Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

2005 transmission problem

Old 10-03-2006, 05:04 PM
Default 2005 transmission problem

I bought the truck new. It now has 13000 miles on it. Sometimes When I stop at a light and it turns green - I give it gas- the engine revs then bang- it's like I have it in neutral and put it in drive at 1500 rpm. Of course the GMC service center takes it on a test drive and finds no problems. It's like it happens 1 or 2 times a month. Anybody have the same condition???

Old 10-03-2006, 05:08 PM
Default RE: 2005 transmission problem

Have you checked the torque converter??---fluid levels??

Stash

Old 10-03-2006, 05:20 PM

The fluid with the engine running is in the middle of the cross hatch area. How do I check the torque converter?

Old 10-03-2006, 05:49 PM

Try changing the fluid to a synthetic. It should help.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:52 PM

i got an 06 almost 4 month ago. it does the same thing to me. it has done it since the second week i've had it. it has 12800 on it. my boss has an 05 gmc with 70000 on it. it also does the same thing. the dealer cant find any thing wrong with them. what we found out we can stop it by watching the way we drive. ex. i live in the country where youcan see a long way down the road. i found out by watching. when i speed and come to a fast stop then take off with out stoping completely. i found this to be true for redlights that turn green while your stoping. if i come to a complete stop and let off the brake for a sec. then take off i does not do it. nor does my bosses. so far it is working well. but also remember these are computer controled tranmitions with speed sensors. there are not throtle cables or kick down cables. it there place is electronic sensors. also if you were to step on it hard enough while the transmition is in second or third gear you could slip your tranny to death.

Old 11-07-2006, 03:03 PM

Stop Please -> First, you cannot check the torque Converter oil. It is put in prior to connecting to tranny. What you have more than likely is a "SUN GEAR," going out. It is the weak link in the automatic. I would suggest you call for a second opinion AAMCO who know about this problem better than the Dlrshp and will fix the problem for $800. I just had this very same problem happen to me only worst. It destroyed my tranny which I had replaced for $2700 at my GM Dlrshp. The torque converter is built with such overkill, it will out live you.
What you need to look for are the TSB bulletins put up. They go all the way through 06. GOOGLE-> Silverado AND transmission AND 2006 AND tsb AND problems <-exactly like that - using Boolean Search Commands.
I tell you, reading your post, I started to get angry. I was in the middle of starting to cross a major intersection when mine went out. It took me 15 mins, revving my truck to 3k, putting into reverse, finally hitting the 4 high button hoping my 4x4 front end would help me, which it did for a block.
Get that second opinion from AMMCO; they know all about the Sun Gear issue/weakness in all GM trannys. If you haven't done too much damage, like I said, they will fix it for $800. BUT!@! If you end up going with a new tranny, it comes with

1.) Torque Convertor installed
2.) 3 year / 100,000 mile warranty
3.) Under $2800 BRAND NEW !@! NOT A REBUILD OR REFURB'S
GL
Greek

Old 11-13-2006, 12:55 PM

The transmission pump provides a constant flow of fluid through the torque converter to keep it cool. You would add fluid to the torque converter when you are installing a new or rebuilt one that has little or no fluid in it. This would reduce the time required to refill the transmission with fluid. Transmission assemblies for past model vehicles from GM are re-manufactured units, not new assemblies. If you had a current model year transmission fail and a complete assembly was required, the unit may be new only because new units are initially stocked by GMSPO to act as exchange assemblies. GM offers a great warranty with these units and I have had great success with them. There is a critical item though. A thorough flush of the transmission cooler must be performed to prevent contamination of the replacement transmission. This is especially critical if the previous transmission failure ground up hard parts or clutches. These little bits will plug up screens and stick valves in the replacement transmission.
ORIGINAL: makoltd

Stop Please -> First, you cannot check the torque Converter oil. It is put in prior to connecting to tranny. What you have more than likely is a "SUN GEAR," going out. It is the weak link in the automatic. I would suggest you call for a second opinion AAMCO who know about this problem better than the Dlrshp and will fix the problem for $800. I just had this very same problem happen to me only worst. It destroyed my tranny which I had replaced for $2700 at my GM Dlrshp. The torque converter is built with such overkill, it will out live you.
What you need to look for are the TSB bulletins put up. They go all the way through 06. GOOGLE-> Silverado AND transmission AND 2006 AND tsb AND problems <-exactly like that - using Boolean Search Commands.
I tell you, reading your post, I started to get angry. I was in the middle of starting to cross a major intersection when mine went out. It took me 15 mins, revving my truck to 3k, putting into reverse, finally hitting the 4 high button hoping my 4x4 front end would help me, which it did for a block.
Get that second opinion from AMMCO; they know all about the Sun Gear issue/weakness in all GM trannys. If you haven't done too much damage, like I said, they will fix it for $800. BUT!@! If you end up going with a new tranny, it comes with

1.) Torque Convertor installed
2.) 3 year / 100,000 mile warranty
3.) Under $2800 BRAND NEW !@! NOT A REBUILD OR REFURB'S
GL
Greek

Old 11-14-2006, 05:35 AM

AS I informed you in my initial post, what you're most certainly suffering from is a BAD SUN GEAR. GM has TSBs out on this and as I recommended, you should get a second opinion from AAMCO who actually knows GM trannys better than any Dlrshp you could go to. I didn't think your question was going to drift to Torque Converter Oil or another clueless attack on my effort to shed some light on your problem by our new member. I really hope your getting something out of this that has merit enough to get you to seek a second opinion from any number of large transmission companies.
As for the Parts Bin Reps desire to square off with me; Once again, he is just wrong. When I have any major problems needing repair, I go to 1 of the 2 dlrshps that my family sold in 2002. My tranny is in fact brand new. Its part number is that of a 2004 Silverado z/71 w/Trailer Pkg. Since the new Owners are good friends of ours where my younger sister is the Sales Manager, I know what was put in my truck. The Parts Bin Rep should know that 1999-2004 drive train is completely interchangeable up to 98%; why doesn't he? As for the rude remark about why I left GM, here is the answer to that question
->>We left GM because my Father could not deal with all the Damn TSBs and warranty issues. In 2002 there were 14,000 GM buy backs from customers. Back in 1998 GM bought back my C5 and paid for all my upgrades, "all my UPGRADES<---." They returned me over 56k for a Fully loaded Vette I bought out of state using my OPTION 1 Discount (GMO/GMS) from "Les Stanford," Chevy, the King of Vettes in Lansing. They paid for my total B&B system, intake, GMS MAF, CAG-BP, COILS, FULL AIRRIDE my rear exhaust billet plate and a dozen other things all the way down to the TB bypass plus all labor Why does he not tell you guys that parts from 1999-2004 Silverado are 98% interchangeable; Water pump, Coils, Dmod, Trannys, Frnt/Rear ends, driveshaft’s, rotors, on and on. He needs to stop giving you guy’s bad info just to rag on me, slapping his “Product Service Engineering," title around like it was a badge of honor. He needs to offer you users here some info like ->>> The Mafs from a C5, Z28/ss and a Z/71 are all the same unit and completely interchangeable and up until 04 were the same part number. You guys who need a new MAF can always buy one on EBay cheap no matter a 5.3 or 6.0. I apologize to the hub but I cannot help my distain for upper management who have screwed up GM so bad, they are THINKING ABOUT JOINING FORCES WITH FORD!@!" THAT IS NO $HIT GUYS... 87,000 lay offs due to poor Engineering Personal. Christ, the X/Me generation peep’s have destroyed a great company. Has anybody actually seen the new Z/28? Up close? I went to both the Detroit and LA shows with my brother. Have you noticed how close the Silverado is getting to the GMC truck line. Wonder why? It was told to me in Detroit that the Silverado will see its end run in 2009. GM is going to do what sadly makes sense. They have a Truck Division that makes a ton of $$ 3/1. Doesn't anybody wonder why the small GTO has as much HP as the Vette for 10k less and drops the C6 like a bad habit w/correct tires and an AUTO. I love my Silverados (1500/3500), C5 and my Z28/ss which I race and make mucho $$ with using Chevy Performance parts. I am so loyal a GM guy and I live in a cul-de-sac surrounded by 3 Chrysler Tops. Regional Manager for Warranty 8 Western States, West Coast VP for Sales and West Coast VP for Human Resources. Defending GMs Engineering Hero’s has gotten old. TO THE PARTS BIN REP->>>"You have dialed in on me and you need to back off"<<<. Unlike me you have never pulled a wrench, watched seniors cry, newlyweds fight and first time buyers beg for help that upper Warranty Wigs will not give. I cannot tell you how many times my Father pushed through Service Mangers requests to fix at cost, paying commission ou

Old 11-14-2006, 11:52 AM

You said you worked for GM? It appears that you worked for a dealership selling GM vehicles, that is hardly working for GM. If that is the case, you are a deceiver from the beginning.
I told you before, don't even pretend you know what I did, who I am or what my qualifications are. I am hardly a Parts Rep.
As far as never turned a wrench, I'll bet my tool box is bigger than yours. I made my living for years turning wrenches.
Torque converter oil, your comment regarding that just shows your lack of understanding on how a transmission works.
As far as knowing what parts are interchangable, is that how you judge the worth of an individual. Personally I could care less what transmissions will fit in my 2005 Silverado.
I will not sit by while some self proclaimed so called expert (YOU) delivers BS as fact.
Regarding your so called NEW transmission in your truck. What do you think happens to all the transmission "CORES" that go back to GMSPO when a transmission assembly is replaced? They get re-built so guys like you have a transmission to install when yours fails.
I am sure some of the information you put out is bennificial to people on this forum. Some want to know what parts interchange, what parts improve performance, etc. But I advise everyone to read between the lines on this guy and take everything with a grain of salt, or maybe that should be sugar since I prefer sweet BS. Have a nice day! I'll be thinking of ya.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:22 PM

YOU DON’T CARE - My god, your loosing it man. You don't give a damn about what tranny will fit in your 05 truck. That says it all. This is a Forum where we share what we have learned. We do this so others won't be deceived by the BS they get when they HAVE to hit the dlrshps. You just don't care. Funny thing is, people come here because they do care. Maybe a wrecker can offer a guy with a 1999 Silverado a 04' tranny. I assume he would care if he could save $1500. It's good to know your tool box is big. Unfortunately I have to drag around mine around by 5th wheel when we go to Baja. As for Trannys, you can either buy a Reman or New; then you would know that, If You Cared. I am sure someone does. This, I keep having to repeat to you is a Forum. It isn't about you man, it's about the Silverado and the people who “CARE,” enough or have had enough BS to come here for answers. I am not going to pick your post apart. The fact is;
YOU DON'T CARE. Aren't we lucky you’re finally being honest.
Greek

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 transmission problem