Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

2007 failed lifters lead to engine failure

Old 10-28-2016, 09:50 PM
mja
Beginner
Default 2007 failed lifters lead to engine failure

Anyone contemplating a 2007 or newer Chevrolet with the 5.3l V8 needs to Google any forums relating to their AFM "active fuel management" system.
You will learn immediately of serious and very costly engine problems. MANY stories on the web are typical of my own experience. I purchased a new 2007
Suburban and despite maintaining it meticulously failures consisted of, transmission replaced 32k, overheated differential 53k, several fuel emission control problems,
and the main point of this reply a failed engine at 72k. Seems Chevy decided to incorporate a fuel saving system which shuts off fuel (injection) to 4 of the cylinders
while under light loads to save fuel. The engine is designed to also close off those particular cylinders by collapsing the valve lifters (electrically) so that these same cylinders in
effect act as an air spring. Short version is your running on 4 cylinders. Great idea EXCEPT the non firing cylinders have no combustion pressure to force the piston rings out aginst
the cylinder wall and seal as they are designed. Thus oil is allowed to pass to the combustion (Top) side of the piston causing a huge oil consumption problem. Forums are riddled
with this FIRST complaint. My 2007 was consuming 3 qts between oil changes at 5k. This began at about 25k miles and steadily increased.
A more serious problem is when the valve lifters are constantly shifting (solid/collapsing) they are **** to failure. As many here know a failed valve train is a SERIOUS casualty .
My Suburban suddenly lost one cylinder at 58k. I thought it was a bad ignition coil pack but had to take it to a GM shop. They said it was a "stuck lifter". This really didn't much
sense to me but i paid and moved on. At 72k same thing #7 cylinder dead...Went back to dealer and was informed "collapsed lifter". Next they said that to know what really is the cause the cylinder head would need to come off (which is true with the LS engine), cost $1800. They went on to say that it would be best to replace all the lifters while they had it apart, (which is also true) another $1800. They acted as if this was a new event for them. I told them "hold on" I need to do some investigating. Sure enough I went on line to educate myself and the first Chevrolet forum I looked at described my EXACT SAME PROBLEM followed by MANY others. Why didn't the GM dealer just be upfront with me? SECOND complaint. So I was faced with ~$4000 repair bill OR (as I had to work out) I could replace the engine with a rebuilt long block for $6400. This was on my 7 year old vehicle with 72k miles! By the way the local customer rep for GM could only offer a "customer loyalty discount" of $2000 off a new $50k Suburban...! So my next step was to call GM and see if they could help...HA GOOD LUCK on that. I was hoping for a little HELP towards the purchase of the long block, even a $1000 bucks would have been something. Here's what you can expect, first GM makes you feel like they're with you by "filing a claim" next after 4 or 5 weeks of "we'll look into it," they send your file to the "lead claims rep" (aka. the cubicle next door). I dealt with this run around for 3 months and the dealership didn't seem to mind my Suburban taking up their stall space (maybe they've seen this before) (again why didn't they just be up front and spare me the trouble). BOTTOM LINE, I paid the $6400 for the rebuilt long block. I feel why repair an engine and not fix the inherent problem? The newer engine has had some "redesign to address this problem" thus essentially admitting to the problem. I really try to give "American made" my business, but I will no longer EVEN CONSIDER a GM product. By the way later on I see that this vehicle was made in Mexico, What the....Maybe it's true what the say about NAFTA. Anyway I hope this will be some help to others as others have helped me with internet entries.
MJA

Old 10-29-2016, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the input. I had a 2009 with the 5.3 that started using oil (1 qt between changes) at 30k miles. At 50k, it had moved up to about 2qt. in 5000 miles. The dealer said this was within the normal range. My son is now driving the truck and has about 65k miles and it is up to around 2.5 to 3 qts per 5000 miles. He has also had an ignition pack fail and some kind of valve on the gas tank fail. The dealer says they will look at it but they don't seem to be interested in fixing it under any kind of warranty. I also had to replace 3 of the door lock relays while I had it and he has one bad now. Nice truck to have so many problems.
I now drive a '14 with the same engine and have 21k miles with no problems yet but I'm waiting for the other shoe to fall.
Sorry you have had so many problems but i tend to agree this may be my last GM for awhile.
Good luck.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:01 AM
Administrator

I've had a hellish time dealing with the 2014 Cruze Turbo Diesel we have. It's had issue after issue of known and common problems. I'm fortunate enough to still have an extended warranty, so I guess we'll see where it goes after that. It will most likely get sold as soon as it expires.

On the other hand, the 5.3 with AFM in my truck has been flawless. Great fuel economy and great power. I'm at just over 65k right now. Makes you wonder just how many changes they made between 07 and 13.

It does once again reinforce my decision NEVER to buy a first model year vehicle again. This cruze has made it very obvious that I am a guinea pig, and I don't like it.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:04 AM

Would it be better to just disable the AFM feature? Would doing that stop the oil consumption? The AFM may help gas milage but it appears to be doing more harm than good. Maybe one of the GM customer service reps will chime in with some suggestions.