Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

305 tbi to 305 vortec swap help

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 04:05 PM
Beginner
Default 305 tbi to 305 vortec swap help

Hey how's it going I just picked up a 305 out of a 2003 I got the whole wiring harness and computer aND everything right down to the fuel pump. I'm running a 305 tbi right now I plan on doing the swap sometime in the next couple weeks but before I do I was wondering if anyone else has done this. And if they have any advice. I'm doing this for the simple reason of I want a more modern engine as its my daily driver and I figure staying with the small block it shouldn't be to big of a deal

Old 03-20-2016, 07:24 PM
TruckForum Addict

The whole top end of the Vortec 305 is completely different from the TBI engine, so you'll at least need to swap heads/intake. I think the camshaft is different too, but don't quote me on that.

Personally, I'd swap the entire engine over after replacing as many gaskets as monetarily feasible. You'll need the wire harness swapped over, the computer switched over and the fuel pump switched over. The Vortec intake has a fuel pressure regulator inside the intake on the side of the spider assembly, so you don't need to worry about that too much. You'll just need to feed it about 55PSI fuel pressure and you should be okay.

Otherwise, I hate to be negative here .... but why are you staying with a 305? The 350 makes substantially more power I've owned many variations of the 305 engine and can honestly say, it's a great engine but lacks power. A TBI to Vortec swap probably isn'g going to give you the wow factor that you're looking for, other than it's modern and more prone to failures in the injections system.

If you're looking for reliability, I'd stick with the TBI to be honest. My old 89 truck never let me down, my TBI firebird never let me down and they make gobbs and gobbs of torque. Simple systems that are proven time and time again to be reliable.

Not bashing the Vortec stuff, cause I have a 305 Vortec truck too, but I'm just thinking going through all that work might not give you the results you're looking for.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:42 PM
Beginner

I am swapping the whole motor I got it for free hence why I'm staying with the 305 can't argue with the price eventually when funds allow it will be getting a 6.0 . And im not looking to build a high horsepower monster just a nice driver. With a more modern engine I got the whole van the engine is in so I have all the factory pieces such as wiring harness ecu fuel pump. I was more wondering do I need to have the computer flashed or anything like that or can I just install it into my truck hook power up and go

Old 03-20-2016, 08:18 PM
TruckForum Addict

I'm pretty sure you can just hook up power and go. You'll need the ECU from the van though, the TBI computer wont work