Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

4wd issues, I think its simple but you tell me

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 08:53 AM
Default 4wd issues, I think its simple but you tell me

Hey guys, I just recently bought a 92 Silverado 4wd Ext. Cab from a friend of mine. Got a good deal on it. Not a lot wrong with it. The common intake/coolant leak issue and armrests but nothing major. The other day I was heading through the field next to my house, we have had a whole bunch of rain lately so it was a little wet and soupy, anyway, I started to dig in a little and got stuck, so I threw it in neutral, switched to 4w high and tried that. No dice, so I tried 4w lo. Nothing. My neighbor came over and told me that the front wasnt even turning while I was attempting to get out. He got down and looked up under while I gave it a little gas and said the front drive shaft was turning but the hubs werent locking in. My guess is that the switch or acutator mechanism in the front dif is either bad or stuck, what do you guys think? Thanks for your help.

Dale

Old 05-12-2009, 02:35 PM

C'mon guys, surely there is one of you that can point me in the right direction. I know there are 4wd guys here. I searched for this problem in the forums and most of my results were newer model trucks so its not like im lazy and not searching. Im gonna go out there and see if I can figure it out. Thanks for any help you guys may give. Take care,

Dale

Old 05-12-2009, 04:23 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

Chevrolet does not have a "shift on the fly"....."on demand" 4wd system you have to lock it in and reverse for a few yards before it will lock in.......once you get it out lock it in and run it in reverse and see if it locks in....I bet it will

Old 11-02-2009, 11:16 PM

I am having the same prob with my 91 sierra. I have tried the whole reverse thing.... dont work. I replaced the actuator with one i got with some extra parts i got. It worked in that other truck not mine. Ive done lots of research and nothin. I was talking to a buddy who told me to check the voltage at the actuator. While ingaged it should have a constant 12v. Mine gets nothing. First u should check the fuse. Then throw it in 4h and check voltage. nothin? Check wires. Also chevy is "shift on the fly" but only into 4h or back to 2h from 4h. It says that in the manuel. Good luck with the issue. I'm gettin frustrated and about to wire mine to a toggle switch.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:50 PM

Hey man, thanks for the info. I just rebuilt the 350 in mine. Went 60 over with flat tops, mild Elgin cam so I wouldnt have to change the converter or run a chip. The beast runs great and has loads of torque without eatin a lot of gas. I was talkin to my uncle who used to be a tech at a GM dealer and he suggested the same thing you are saying about checking the voltage. I am gonna try that but the toggle idea will be plan B. LOL thanks again.

Dale