Go Back   Truck Forums > Chevrolet/GMC Truck Forums > Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-10-2009, 03:36 PM

Default 5.3 engine miss

I have a 2000 Silverado 5.3, A/T with 130K miles. I am noticing a slight miss at idle when dropped into gear. If you raise the RPM slightly the miss goes away. I have access to a SNAP ON Motis but have had very little training, mainly what I have taught myself. The miss does not set a code. At idle with Motis you can see a 20 to 30 count misfire per 100 seconds cycle, half occurring on number 5 cylinder. The others are random between the other cylinders. I have replaced spark plugs and fuel filter. I have not tried plug wires yet. What else could be causing this?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Truckforums!
Old 05-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Have you cleaned the throttle body? They are notorious for gumming up and causing a miss. I had one not too long ago that would shut off from such an irratic idle. A can of throttle body cleaner and it ran like new again. If not an injector may be the culprit.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:50 AM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

there are some on this forum who have had problems with lifters....and a bad lifter will cause enough of a miss to "notice" but not set a code that being said I would try wires first and clean the throttle body
Turned up EPC
Blacked out Grill
New Motor
Tranny built for pulling
My Photos
http://s561.photobucket.com/albums/ss55/chrisbmo2000/

10/23/10 Believe it!!! Mizzou beat Oklahoma
Check out the Truck of the month, nominate and VOTE !!!!!!!!
PM me or any of the other Moderators if you need anything
Old 05-19-2009, 01:40 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Sounds like a clogged Injector. Check fuel pressure with a guage.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:14 PM

Default throttle body

My 2000 gmc sierra 1500 just came from the shop because of a slight miss. I had the plugs replaced and it still has a slight miss. How do I clean the throttle body. The truck always starts fine the first time but subsequent starts take a crank or two. It also hesitates some times when I take off. Should I change the throttle position sensor. I am stumped but tired of paying 80 bucks for diagnosis that dont tell me ........ please help

ps- how do I change my idler arm. it is worn
Old 06-07-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFNECK4LYFE View Post
Sounds like a clogged Injector. Check fuel pressure with a guage.
Fuel pressure won't reveal a bad injector. Pressure is obtained before injectors.

Check your wires, make sure you don't have a broken boot or cracked jacket or something. Also check your fuel pressure regulator.
6.0 LQ4 - 80mm TURBO - PRC DUAL SPRINGS - COMP LIFTERS & PUSH RODS - LINGENFELTER GT2-3 2CAM - 60# INJECTORS - ASP U.D. PULLEY - FLT LEVEL 5 4L65e - P.I. 3200 CONVERTER - DETROIT TRUE TRAC & 3.42 GEARS - WALBRO 255LPH FUEL PUMP - 05 E-FANS - TUNED BY L.G
Old 06-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

I was only suggesting to check fuel pressure. I was stating my opinion a to what I thought might be the problem. Checking fuel pressure will rule out whether it is the fuel pressure reugaltor, or fuel filter, or fuel pump, or a wiring problem. Which then can suggest if it is a fuel problem, then narrow it down to a possible clogged injector. Shoulda elaborated more my fault.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:23 PM

I wasn't trying to sound like a jerk, sorry.

All good ideas.
6.0 LQ4 - 80mm TURBO - PRC DUAL SPRINGS - COMP LIFTERS & PUSH RODS - LINGENFELTER GT2-3 2CAM - 60# INJECTORS - ASP U.D. PULLEY - FLT LEVEL 5 4L65e - P.I. 3200 CONVERTER - DETROIT TRUE TRAC & 3.42 GEARS - WALBRO 255LPH FUEL PUMP - 05 E-FANS - TUNED BY L.G
Old 06-07-2009, 08:23 PM

Tags
04, 2000, 53, canyon, chevy, engine, gmc, honda, idle, lifters, miss, motis, sierra, silverado, slight, truck