Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Who got da powwwaaa???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Default Who got da powwwaaa???

Ok, so I now that my truck actually runs right (fuel pump) I noticed something. My house sits right next to a 70mph two lane (one each way) highway. My girlfriend owns a 2000 Frontier 4-door 2wd. As we are leaving, she is in front of me and she floors it. This was as we were leaving the driveway entering the highway so we were going less than 5mph when she did that. Well I floored it also and the tires did spin a little but the traction control in my brain handled it. I immediately gained on her and pretty much passed her like it was nothing. I let off at about 75 when I knew she gave up.

Now this is what I was wondering. Why is my truck so much faster when I know I probably weigh an extra 1000lbs? I have a tool box in the back and a grille guard on the front, plus some bigger tires than stock and it's pretty much all stock. Her 3.3L v6 puts out 170hp and 200tq. My 5.0 puts out 230hp and 285tq. I did not think that would be enough to pull that easily. She tried it one time before now but we were going about 50 and I passed and pulled away just as easy. And she did get the jump on me both times because I am not automatically expecting anything and then see her truck pull ahead a little then I step on it, so you can't say it's about who steps on it first.

One time before (prolly months ago) a friend was behind us while we were going fifty and he passed us. We were in her frontier and he got the jump while passing but it wasn't easy for him to pass. He had a '04 Altima 2.5.

So if it were my truck in that situation, I prolly could have slapped that Altima in the face. What is the deal? Is that extra torque that I have just so much better?

Any stories anyone want to mention?

Old 04-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Well, I gotta say I think that my 92 is faster than alot of vehicles out there, but I outright got smoked in a drag race with my mom in her 06 Duramax and my dad in his 08 Acura TL type S. I have whooped a newer Ford 6.0 Crew and a Newer Civic. I'm not sure if my truck is faster than the Civic, but the guy driving it was one of my friends brothers and he's only 16 and didn't know how to handle the little supercharged matchbox

Old 04-07-2009, 06:12 PM

Yes definatly the torque will help you more than horsepower. Go to youtube and watch some of the crazy diesles beating cars. I've beaten a Dodge Charger RT with the Hemi and about the same horsepower as my truck but I had WAY more torque and even though I weighed more and had less aerodynamics I stayed ahead of him a couple car lengths. Don't underestimate torque with horsepower.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by 92chevysilvy
Well, I gotta say I think that my 92 is faster than alot of vehicles out there, but I outright got smoked in a drag race with my mom in her 06 Duramax and my dad in his 08 Acura TL type S. I have whooped a newer Ford 6.0 Crew and a Newer Civic. I'm not sure if my truck is faster than the Civic, but the guy driving it was one of my friends brothers and he's only 16 and didn't know how to handle the little supercharged matchbox
How bad did the duramax spank you? I think the tbi prolly held you back. Did the duramax have a chip? It seems like everyone is gettin a chip on their diesels. The 350 gained like 50 hp when they went to vortec spider injection in 1996. When the 454 was my daily driver, I actually looked into getting the fuel injection upgrade kit that I think either holley or edelbrock made for the tbi's. It's a multipoint injection that adds as much power as the vortec, but it costs about 1k. It seemed like a good idea, but I never could get around to saving enough money. For some reason, I've always liked the early 90's chevy pickups with a 350. Seems like nothing could stop them from running. I love chevy trucks. I think I could talk about them all day.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Administrator

There's no way I'd scrape up that kind of cash and I like the simplicity of the TBI haha

She beat me pretty bad but nothing like my dad's Acura, that was embarassing, I had the jump on him too. We were next to each other at a red light with a half a mile til the merge and as soon as it hit green I was gone. It took him 5 seconds to figure it out and when you add that to the 5.2 seconds it takes him to go 0-60, he still beat me, and somehow he is still fast from 60-90, and he just wanted to show off so he just floored it the 5 miles home and by the time I came limping in he had already changed clothes and cooked a frozen burrito, fixin's and all.

Oh and no chip, she just uses it to pull a trailer right now and in her words: "I don't want a chip, I like my truck the way it is..." She also won't get the 8" monster stacks that I want her to have either

Old 04-07-2009, 10:14 PM

Aww man no stacks? Does she even like seeing black smoke? lol

Old 04-07-2009, 11:35 PM

Are you following me? I see you everywhere. I hide at chevyforum and you follow me. I go to gmc forum and you follow me........Wait...... Oh ok, it's good....I thought I saw you outside my window. whew....close one

I also posted this on the sierra forum but I never know where you might be.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:09 AM
Administrator

I just check here and there, I mostly hang around The Chevy ones but this forum has some good conversation every now and again.

She does happen to like the black smoke btw. Any time someone is walkign, jogging, or biking in our influential neighborhood she floors it and makes em gag. Funny as hell. We call her the old BAT cuz she drives a BIG *** TRUCK and so now her license plate says batmobl

Old 04-08-2009, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by 92chevysilvy
I just check here and there, I mostly hang around The Chevy ones but this forum has some good conversation every now and again.

She does happen to like the black smoke btw. Any time someone is walkign, jogging, or biking in our influential neighborhood she floors it and makes em gag. Funny as hell. We call her the old BAT cuz she drives a BIG *** TRUCK and so now her license plate says batmobl

I can't stop laughing. That's great

Old 04-08-2009, 12:15 PM

Well now it looks like Silvy is the only brave one over here. Silvy, tell me when you get confused between the two forums. Sometimes I do since I got about the same threads in both. But if I didn't start any threads, it might be kinda boring, wouldn't it?

Quick Reply: Who got da powwwaaa???