Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

5w30 vs 10w30

Old 09-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Default RE: 5w30 vs 10w30

did shell buy penzoil? cause even if they did the oil istelf is still prob not the same

Old 09-01-2008, 04:51 PM

On my last two vehicles they were ran with conventional oil. I switched to AMSOIL on both vehicles. I have never had a problem with seals shrinking or anything.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:58 AM

DamnYankee and timberwolf: Let me rephrase that, it very well can cause gasket problems switching from conventional to synthetic. It is not 100% on every make, model, age, mileage, ect...

I got this info from a ton of different websites involving oils and maintenance on all types of vehicles since we now have an Intrepid with the bastard engine in it. (2.7 V6).

From what I understand that the key to keeping engines alive is regular maintenance (duh) but there is better results with people who use the same oil the entire life of the motor, and of course the people using synthetic have better results in the long run. The main issue was sludge formation and engine wear. Sludge buildup can increase as you switch oils, especially conventional. And once again switching from conventional to synthetic after using conventional for a great deal of time is not recommended. It can cause problems. Gaskets can shrink and leak and gasket material can break off and wedge itself in an oil passage. I wouldn't worry about doing this with my truck as much as this Intrepid because the Intrepid has small oil passages throughout the engine and part of the reason the engines fail is because of sludge clogging the oil passages and seizing the motor. 50% of these damn cars died before 100,000 because of poor maintenance and the other 50% was Chrysler's damn **** poor manufacturing. (The didn't aways get all the burrs and debris off the engine parts before assembly).

Sooooo! The point I am trying to make is that: Yes switching to sythetic after conventional might or might not cause problems with our truck engines, but on another vehicle like an import or newer domestic car, I would not try it. These LS engines can handle more abuse than most vehicles and do not seem to be nearly as picky.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:54 AM

Agreed - wasn't being argumentative (hope it didn't sound like it). I found the same info prior to switching to AMSOIL and decided to take the risk. Fortunately - no problems so far.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:24 PM
TruckForum Addict

Same here. I was not being arguementative. Just passing on the information that I was handed down from the Shell guys who work in the oil research department at the Shell my dad works at.

Funny thing. A lot of people believe that all oils are different, but in fact a lot of the different oils come out of the same oil refiners and go to different locations to have chemicals added to the basic refined crude oil. What makes all the oils different is the different chemicals that the many companies add to the basic crude oil... hence every company has their own blend. But yes Shell and Penziol did merge... maybe not everything, but they did. I read it in my dad's Monthly magazine. Plus all the Penziol Shell posted combining to sing Happy Happy Joy Joy together....

Here is another one. Did you know that Shell and Texaco's fuel research departments merged for a short time and then seperated. And then Chevron and Texaco merged their fuel reserch departments... Next time you go to or see a Texaco station or comercail look at what they advertise in their fuel blend... Techron. Chevron's main cleaning ingrediant.... Funny stuff that the public is not aware of...

Old 09-04-2008, 11:42 AM

I heard of the Chevron / Texaco thing before. Shell worries me though. I heard a lot of bad things about their fuel, but than again there is only one Shell station near here and it is old. They had water issues a lot the past year.

These LS engines are great in these trucks. Besides the piston slap problem I love the 5.3. I just wish I had a more durable transmission. Not that I have problems with mine but I am just afraid of killing it with my lead foot.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:51 PM

i completey agee with the trans issue...ive had mine bebuit twice within the past 4 years. i do have a bit of a lead foot but its not too bad...

Old 09-04-2008, 02:12 PM

Damn, why twice?

Old 09-04-2008, 06:22 PM

well when i got the truck the trans was actin up and needed it...the 2nd time which was about a yr ago...i have no idea, they needed to replace sprockets or something, im not sure what the hell was wrong with it

Old 09-05-2008, 07:44 AM

When I bought mine it shifted kinda sloppy when the weather got warmer. I found out that the fluid was burnt. So I did not only a trans flush but did the filter as well. It runs fine now but I am still worried about what the yahoo owner did to it before I bought it. I hope it lasts cause I want to do a shift kit on it at some point. Mine just turned over 92,000 this morning.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5w30 vs 10w30