Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

82 GMC Sierra Classic Front Brake Pad Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Beginner
Default 82 GMC Sierra Classic Front Brake Pad Rattles

My girlfriend just inherited her grandfathers 82 GMC C1500 Sierra Classic and one of the front/outer brake pads seems to be rattling pretty badly. I bought a pad retaining clip kit and it looks like they supply clips for the inner pads, but none of the clips would work for the outer ones. The pad is seated and in place correctly, however it has a lot of play. The rotor is slightly out of round and I think it does move the pad and cause it to rattle. But it just seems like I shouldn't be able to grab the pad with my fingers and move it around so much. I've taken the brakes apart 4 times now and I just wanted to see if anybody has any experience on this before I do it again.

Thanks!

Old 06-25-2013, 04:37 PM
TMW

Try a dampening paste. Disc Brake Quiet is one brand. Apply a thin layer of the substance to the back of the brake pads (between the pad and the caliper assembly). This will create a thin cushion to dampen the vibration and thereby the sound. Give the paste plenty of time to dry before you assemble the brakes to make sure it hardens: two to three hours at least, overnight if you can. It will become sticky and even change to a darker color when it is dry.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:16 AM
Beginner

Ok, thanks for the recommendation and instructions on the application. I'll pick some up today and give it a try as soon as I can!

Old 06-28-2013, 05:52 PM

I would probably just put new rotors and brakes and everything on the front. The pads may just be worn down enough to cause play.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:41 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by RustyFordLover
I would probably just put new rotors and brakes and everything on the front. The pads may just be worn down enough to cause play.
I may have to do that as a last resort. I was hoping I could find as easier, cheaper fix. To be honest the pads look like they are in really good condition with plenty of life left in them. I'm still surprised they never made an anti rattle clip for them. I have yet to try the brake quite as it's been hovering 110 outside lately and I'm waiting for a cool down.