Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

89 Chevy 1500 5.0 won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Beginner
Default 89 Chevy 1500 5.0 won't start.

Hello everyone! Just lime to say hello to all before I bombard with questions. I have a problem with my 89 Chevy 1500 Cveyenne ... Ots been an absolutely. great truck but I'm a little stumped with it now. 2 Weeks ago I started gettin a low oil pressure reading and I went agead and changed out the oil pump and screen. Afterwards started it up the oil pressure gauge would come up and then fall right back off. cgange the oil pressure relay switch and it was worse wouldn't even register on the gauge. So I pulled a valve cover off and started it up oil was shooting out of the rockerarms across to the fenderwells so I've git great oil pressure..... must be a bad gauge. This isnt my problem just trying to inform all things soooo I've drove it everyday for the last week with it running like a champ best its ran in a while and yesterday I drive to work everything was just fine when I cut it off.. I got in it at lunch and went to start it it fired right up and then cut off after a second or two. Now it will not start at all the motor spins but no signs of life. I checked the TBI and its spraying fuel inti the TBI pulled a sparkplug wire off stuck a screwdriver in it it thumped me pretty good.put a little gas in the TBI opened the valves and let it sown the intake and nothing. I went back after dark and checked again and had the #6 plug wire was arcing to the top of the intake and to the oil dipstick holder. I don't think it would keep it from starting though would it??? I dont know where to start looking it has fire has gas no spit sputter nothing is why i don't think its jumped time? How can I check time if it won't start? Turn enine over to #1 cylinder up abd look at rotor button? Really don't think its timing though but if I can check it.like that it'll rule it out. This is my only mode of transportation abd I desperatly need to get it running. HELP!

Old 07-16-2013, 05:08 PM
TMW

If you got plug wires arcing I'd replace them and if it don't start check the timing as you mentioned just make sure you are on the firing stroke with the piston up.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:26 AM
Beginner

One arching plug wire shouldn't keep it from firing. It should still be able to start on seven.
You need to replace them though.

Find a timing light and see what it has to say. It would be quicker and easier than trying to find TDC on #1 and guessing where the rotor is pointing in relation to #1 tower. With the timing light, either you can see timing marks or you can't. If you can't see them and you're sure you're on number 1 then it's pretty much confirmed the timing chain jumped.

With good spark and fuel it's about the only thing that makes sense for it not to start.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:52 AM
Administrator

I would have to agree
If all the other essentials are good. It must be timing.
Either your distributor is loose and moved, or your chain jumped