Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Questions about body lift

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Default Questions about body lift

I am looking at putting a 3 inch summit body lift on my 1998 k1500. I understnd that I will need different brackets to adjust the bumpers to fit correctly. But what do I do with the receiver hitch, it is mounted to the frame so won't it be 3 inches lower than the body? Or the brush guard on the front won't that know be 3 inches lower? So anyone have any ideas how to fix these two issues if I do a body lift? Also does anyone have an idea as to how much time it would take to install a 3 inch lift?

Old 03-02-2009, 05:13 PM

It will probably take you about a day, depending on what tools you have and how many people you have working on the truck with you. As far as the hitch goes, you will probably not be able to do anything with it. I wouldn't like it being that far away from the bumper, but it is mounted to the frame and I would want it strong not good looking. Also you won't have to get new drop hitch's because of the new height.
As for the front grill guard, they should be able to be moved up with the bomper relocation kit. If I remember right, the grill guards are mounted to the same mounts as the bumper, so if you move the bumpers up, the grill guard should be able to go up with it. But I would look at the current set-up and try and find someone with the same relocation kit that you would get and see if you are going to have any problems. If it came down to it, you could make a new mount for the grill guard.

Good luck!