Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

93 Chev 5.7L c2500 no spark no fuel condition

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 11:16 PM
Unhappy 93 Chev 5.7L c2500 no spark no fuel condition

Replaced the following:
Start ignition control module, throttle position sensor, fuel filter, cap, rotor, coil

Tested the following:
Rotor spins (timing chain not broke).. Points to cyl 1 with mark on balnacer in groove
Couldn't keep finger on fuel filter while cranking.. good pressure but not sure exactly how much.
No spark on any plug wire or directly from coil using inline spark tester.
Would not sputter or pop with starting fluid or carb cleaner
No fuel from TBI going in during cranking.

268k miles

Can pickup coil (in distributor) cause a no fuel scenario?
How to test it?

How to test ECM without buying another one for swapping it out?

Please help... truck is not at home and a tow is required if I cant get it running by tomorrow.

Thank you.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:21 AM
TruckForum Addict

well posibly if your not getting any spark i would suggest retraceing your steps on the ignition
and i would also replace the coil thats not in the distributer the one your coil wire goes to from the distributer its right next to the distributer cant miss it take your air filter off youll see it also have a buddy try and crank it and watch the coil that i am talking about my 88 chevy did the same thing nad it turned out that the coil was archin from the wire to the coil cuseing no spark and wouldnt start i replaced the coil wire with a spare spark plug wire ad it worked good after that the parts store was closed
before replaceing it it want getting any fuel also like your situation
i tryed everything puttin my foot down on the gas pedal and starting it it wouldnt start i had my brother look at the coil wire when it was startin cause it was making a clicking noise in the engine compartment
so like i said we called a buddy and replaced the coil wire and it ran better then ever after that and didnt arc itself out
keep us posted if you figure it out

Old 05-30-2011, 03:48 AM

Ok.. the large coil that mounts to the intake manifold between the distributor and the throttle body has been replaced.... I had to grind down the rivits and use new hardware to re-mount it back to it's original bracket... there is not spark from the new coil...

The pickup coil in the dizy has not been replaced as I do not know how to pull out a distributor yet.... maybe I should do this? Should I just repalce it... looks kinda rusty and it's got 268k on it.

Damon.

Any other ideas?

Old 05-30-2011, 01:14 PM
TruckForum Addict

i would go ahead and take it to your mechaic because of the fact that the dist will go in two ways the right way and the wrong way casueing the timeing to be off i mad that mistake before took me a month to figure it out and i would replace it as you said its all rusty if the exterior is rusty chancees are the inside is rusty or has had water in it

Old 06-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Thumbs up Problem solved!!!

The no spark no fuel condition on my 1993 Chevrolet 2500 5.7L was caused by a bad pickup coil in the distributor. It was replaced today and the truck runs good again.

Thank you for all of your input!..