Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

'95 GMC Sierra K1500 "Mad Maxine" project

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Beginner
Default '95 GMC Sierra K1500 "Mad Maxine" project

I was encouraged to start up a topic to cover the entirety of my project(s) in order to be more available for suggestions and public help. This topic covers my adventure rebuilding and teching out my 1995 GMC Sierra K1500 5.7L V8 4WD. I don't have pictures yet, but will try to get some soon.

Backstory
First, some background on myself. I recently graduated college with a degree in electrical engineering and I work as a contractor doing programming work. I sort of have an unusual, geeky redneck-apocalyptic style for my projects, which is largely being channeled in my truck build. My electrical experience is handy for much of the work I am doing, but the mechanical experience I am picking up on the go.

I purchased this truck about a year ago from Craigslist. It was $900 and was in desperate need of repair. Tires were worn, some of the steering was shot, and the engine wouldn't run under power and it barely idoled. That day, it limped home to my garage. After a few weeks and some research, I finally discovered that the fuel pump was failing. This was replaced along with the sending unit, a few fuel lines replaced, and it ran like it had a purpose!

I like to name the things I care about. Like the pilots and their planes of WWII, this thing was going to take care of me so long as I took care of it. It must have a name! Originally, I referred to it with the name of an ex. Mandy. Why? It came with a lot of problems. As I began to rebuild it and lay out a plan of action, I settled on "Mad Maxine." This should give you a great image of what this truck should do if you've seen Road Warrior. If you haven't, I encourage it!

Pictures
Name:  q7Yysuvl.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  100.3 KB
Name:  1AWiRUsl.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  83.8 KB
Name:  sq7H0WPl.jpg
Size:  80.8 KB
Name:  gSEKAfil.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  69.7 KB
Name:  rEIrGlll.jpg
Size:  60.7 KB
Name:  yLykPLll.jpg
Size:  64.1 KB
Name:  6FrhN37.jpg
Size:  625.5 KB

Rebuild
Here will be a master list of everything I have completed and things still in the que (italicized).

Replaced fuel pump, fuel sending unit, corroded fuel lines
Fluid change for transmission, transfer case, engine oil, front and rear diff. New trans and oil filters, new trans, rear diff gaskets. New rocker cover gaskets
Front suspension rebuilt (ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, sway bar links, knuckles, bearings, calipers and brakes)
New wiper motor, wipers, painted wiper arms
Windshield fluid heater coil
Installed supporting electrical system (12V,GND,12V switched,12V when running) in cab for future equipment/systems
CB radio, PA system
PA speaker mounted to brushguard
Fire extinguisher in cab
Faulty brake light switch
Electronic compass mirror

Reverse camera and screen
Winch
CB antenna
Amplifier for PA system
Radar detector
Reel lamp
Indicator lamps
Repair the hitch (stuck)
Replace turn signal cluster
Replace windshield fluid pump
Replace headlights and taillights
Cellular project
Decal work on side
Rear brakes
Brake lines
Air ride suspension
Transmission rebuild
Sound system redux
Drainage for bed of truck
Assess and repair exhaust (it's a bit shoddy)
Lighting - front/brush guard and utility lighting in rear
Repair the tailgate - a bit tough to open

That's a rough master list. I'll add to it as I remember/come up with more. It's been a tremendously fun truck to work on. Because it is not my primary vehicle, I can work on and experiment with it without much worry. Some of the projects were tough, though. The adapter ring for the transmission filter was stuck and had to be sawed out; made me nervous! the entire front suspension was a mess. Just wanted to replace the ball joints and sway bar links. Caliper bolts snapped on both sides so had to be drilled out, which ruined the knuckles. Bleed valves snapped so had to replace the callipers anyway. Tie rod ends snapped so had to replace those. Bearings seperated while trying to disassemble everything so they needed replaced too. All of that needed done, at least. Was just way more work than I was ready for at the time.

Right now I am focusing on electrical work. I have a nice master switch to turn on some of the equipment (present and future) in my truck, one of those light up/red cover switches. Installing a kill switch soon and an indicator lamp for when the truck is in 4x4. There's one now by the floor, but I sometimes don't see it, so I am putting a second one on the dash. Might do a complete swap from lamps to LEDs eventually.

That's all for now. Will add more later. If there are any questions or comments, just ask!

Last edited by Prometheus2508; 09-29-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:57 PM

Sounds like a cool project...I will be following as I recently bought a 97

Old 09-29-2013, 08:16 PM
Beginner

Update with pictures

Old 09-29-2013, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Wow !!! One word comes to mind... EQUIPPED