Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

97 Transfer Case Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Default 97 Transfer Case Leak

I have a transfer case leak on my 97 1/2 ton, and I'm having a hard time figuring it out.

I've replaced the seal twice (rear output), but it keeps leaking. There is that mild clunk there, which I understand is normal, but I've got this leak to go along with it. I don't really have the cash to just experiment right now, and I'd deal with the noise for a few more months if I had to, but I'm tired of constantly putting more fluid in.

It's actually leaking right around the yoke, where the rubberized portion of the seal contacts it. I'm wondering if it's worn somehow, and running a little off center, creating a gap between itself and the seal, allowing fluid out. I have gotten the suggestion that it's the bushing, but I would like to be more sure. Not really excited about dropping out the transfer case unless I'm sure that's what's wrong.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Default RE: 97 Transfer Case Leak

hey man. i would replace the bushing forsure because it keeps the yoke square with the seal any movment could squash the seal and cause it to leak. also see if u can get a speedy sleeve for the yoke there may be a slight chance that it is worn a thin bit or the new seals u are getting are slighty different size. anyways i am sure if u put a new seal bushing and sleeve in there it will cure the oil leak. if not there may bee a shim issue inside the case but, those parts i mentioned are reletivly cheap. i had the same problem with mine the bushing was the cure but thats just my suggestion

Old 05-25-2008, 05:43 PM
Default RE: 97 Transfer Case Leak

by the way you dont have to drop the case to replace these parts incase u were woundering