Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

98 K1500 5.7L Stalling problem, please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 05:53 PM
Default 98 K1500 5.7L Stalling problem, please help

Hello, I would really appreciate any help you folks could offer with this problem.

1998 Chevy K1500 Silverado 4x4 5.7L with 94,000 miles.

Over a month ago on a very cold day I first noticed stalling only on deceleration, on idle, and when ideling in park.
I also noticed that the idle was high sometimes, where you would not slow down on idle.

The problem doesn't happen all the time, and lots of times you cannot get it to stall at all.
The truck will start right back up after the stall. Sometimes you must wait 5 or 10 sec though.
When the truck is not stalling it runs perfectly fine.

The stalling produces no codes, even with the snap on analyzer when a stall occurs.

I changed distributor, cap, rotor, wires. Also changed distributor pickup coil, TPS, Idle Air Control Valve, MAP sensor, Mass airflow sensor, Fuel Pump Relay, Ignition Coil, Ignition Control Module, Fuel Pump/Oil Pressure switch.
All hoses and grounds look intact.
I have not changed or tested the computer.
I don't believe it is fuel related because I tested the fuel pressure and when you turn the ignition on it goes to 60psi and then when started it stays at 52psi, and doesn't go down before a stall.

I will however take a look at the fuel filter today, just to rule that out.

Do these trucks happen to have bad ignition switches often ?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-03-2006, 06:41 PM
Default RE: 98 K1500 5.7L Stalling problem, please help

Also, I check the EGR valve and it looked fine. The truck will still stall with the EGR wire disconnected.

Funny thing was that only after I changed the distributor, cap, rotor, wires, plugs; I got codes for MAP sensor and TPS. Thus I changed them both, and the codes went away.

Old 01-04-2006, 12:19 PM

Changed the Fuel Filter and that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Currently the only time I can repeat the stalling is when I start the truck, runs fine, then turn the the ignition off, then try to restart the truck and it starts for a few seconds then stalls when the idle comes down to 600rpm.
So I watched the fuel pressure gauge as it stalls on a restart. It goes to 60psi, then as it stalls it goes down to about 40psi.

So I would guess my problem is fuel related ?

So should I be looking at the Fuel Pressure Regulator and the Fuel Pump ?
I think though if it was the fuel pump, I would notice this stalling on a more regular basis?

Thanks Again for any suggestions.

Old 01-12-2006, 04:02 PM

There is no suggeestions or Comments....this forum sux

Old 01-13-2006, 01:24 AM

There is no need to be childish when someone is trying to get help with their vehicle. You either need to grow up or find somewhere else to post.

Old 01-14-2006, 02:11 AM

Hello, i'm having a similar problem...mine doesn't start unless i push on the gas pedal..Mines a 2000..5.3L...had fuel system checked, 50psi was all it did, so replaced filter, still no gain...fuel pump could be it...sure is expensive, but still up in air about what to do....

Old 01-15-2006, 07:25 PM

does it smoke black when running?

Old 01-17-2006, 03:55 PM

I finally changed the fuel pump, and that was the problem. Running great now!!!!

no black smoke that I noticed.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Default Simular problem with 95 chevy 1500 4x4

My truck has been bogging down upon acceleration and stalling for no apparent reason. I have had my truck at several different shops trying to figure this out. Im tired of throwing parts at this! The dumbest thing about this is it doesnt happen all the time. And it never happens when I have a mechanic in the vehicle. However it happens to me all the time leaving me stalled in the middle of the road and it wont restart for like a minute or two. I almost got hit by stalling in the middle of a busy road. Does any one know what the heck is up with this? I cant be the only one whos had this problem...

Old 04-20-2009, 09:42 PM

i belive you said the only thing u have checked is the computer... best suggestion is to take it to the dealership and have them run diagnostics test on it... although you may leave with your tail between your legs cause theyll charge out the a$$... its sounds like some inconsistancy with the computer... maybe? just a suggestion

Quick Reply: 98 K1500 5.7L Stalling problem, please help