Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Acetone in Gasoline?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 01:34 AM
Default Acetone in Gasoline?

A few weeks ago I was blaming the ethanol in gas being the cause of mpg drops. I just read about someone adding a very slight amount of acetone in their tank of gas. It said that it ought to be 100% pure acetone.
About 1 - 3 oz for 10 gallons of gas.
About 1 - 2 for 10 gallons of diesel.
The result was that supposedly it increased mpgs because it helps the gasoline vaporize which helps burn more of the fuel in the combustion chamber. Shell has been advertizing "Nitrogen Enriched Gasoline" to help burn cleaner. I can't see this helping my mpgs any. I researched the nitrogen enriched thing at http://www.examiner.com/x-4824-Tampa...iched-Gasoline and it mentions that it acts like water to remove carbon deposits....If all my teachers in school were correct and every time I fought fires, then...how come water isn't flammable!?
Here is the link to the source for the acetone experiment: http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

Please let me know anything I don't. I'm sure there is a lot.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

When the injectors spray the fuel and passes the valves, the closer it is to vapor the more flamable it is. Gasoline in a form of liquid will not ignite. The vapors is what ignites. Vapors have a mix of fuel and oxygen which is 2 of the elements needed for fire. But there is a threshold. As far as the water, I have read some articles about converting these motors to run hybrid. Something like 60% fuel 40% water mixture. They say you gain more power, it burns more sufficiently and cleaner, lower combustion temps.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:19 AM

Yeah I can see how having a water like mixture would help clean deposits as it would in a way "grab" deposits off valves and I think it would make it a richer mixture so with that it would cause lower combustion temperatures. I know that if the fuel vaporizes too fast then it will cause the injectors to run at 90-100% duty cycle, which would cause a leaner mix of air/fuel and increase temperatures. I'm not sure about doing this experiment. I think everything is designed to run on the gas that I buy at the pump and I don't want to ruin my motor in any way. Out here in California, (I'm originally from Missouri) I get in trouble anytime that I open my hood and just as much check things over, so I can't even maintain my vehicles "legally" myself. I can't wait to move away from this wretched state full of B.S. rules and regulations.

Thanks for your input by the way. I will be starting school in a couple weeks going for an associates in automotive technology and I can't wait!

Old 08-04-2009, 12:55 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

No problem!! Hey I wish u the best friend. Thats what I am shooting 4 in the next couple years.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:09 PM

Acetone in gasoline does nothing but kill the throttle response. I have tried

Old 08-08-2009, 02:02 AM

Thanks for the advice! I'm sorry you had a bad experience with it.