Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Adjusting emergency brake shoes on 02 sierra

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Beginner
Default Adjusting emergency brake shoes on 02 sierra

Installed new rotors and pads on rear of 02 sierra, now need to adjust emergency brake shoes. Can this be done somehow with the wheel on. I saw the adjuster wheel when the old rotor was removed.Strange thing was the new rotor fit without backing off the E brake adjuster. Looking at it , with the wheel on, there does not seem to be a way of adjusting without mangling the rubber boot that covers the hole where I think I need to be on the back side of wheel. Short of pulling everything off again and adjust that way, Is there another ?

Last edited by Wile e.1.; 10-23-2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: update
Old 10-23-2010, 08:32 PM
Beginner

I thought the E brake was hanging up...the passenger side rear wheel was smokin hot after a test drive. Turns out the calliper seems to be not releasing, and holding the pads tight to the rotor. Is it likely the caliper ? or is there some sort of sensor or other part that regulates the pressure. When tested the calipers piston comes out when the brake peddle is pushed, I have been using a C clamp to push piston back in,removing the cap at the master cylinder

Old 10-24-2010, 12:13 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Sounds like a sticky caliper. A brake flush might fix this but may need to replace the caliper. You will need the flush anyways.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:42 AM
TruckForum Addict

Flushing it normally works... aka excedrcise the caliper. And if you bleed one you might as well bleed them all.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:41 AM
Beginner

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like it is gonna be the caliper. A short time ago I had all the brakelines replaced due to corrosion, 1 of em' rotted through, and since the others were just as rusted, I had all of them changed (and the fluid) That seems to be the only trouble I have with this vehicle.. it only has 30K miles..(huntin and fishin miles )This truck is pretty much only driven on the weekends, So anytime there is a problem, it is usually rust related.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:52 AM

The e break is a drum brake set up separate from the disc brake. The rear disc has a drum built in to the back of it and for the adjust there is adjuster on the back of the drum brake assembly and there is a cable adjuster about halfway back on the drivers side where the cable goes from 1 into left and right. I think 12mm nut. When you need of an adjustment, it will go to the floor with very little effort and you can drive through it easily.