Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Air conditioning question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 11:21 AM
Default Air conditioning question

Last summer I had work done on my AC system...97 GMC...New compressor, dryer. , top pipe and valves....Had it charged. Worked good. Today, while waiting for the wife in the store, I thought I would crank it up to circulate the compressor etc. The compressor wouldnt kick on. It is about freezing here (32F). When I got home, I bypassed the pressure switch on the dryer and it would kick on. I am thinking that my system has leaked the refrigerant out.
I tried my wifes van and her compressor isnt kicking in either.
Question....Is it because its too cold out or do I have a problem in the spring when I need it.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:00 PM
Administrator

For financial reasons, I would hope it is a temperature reason... but honestly I don't think so. I know people that use their AC year round for the worm dry air it makes in the winter. Was the Pressure Switch one of the components replaced last summer too. (Warranty) ?

Old 01-18-2014, 02:53 PM

Yes...pressure switch was replaced too. I am thinking there is still a slow leak. We had a heck of a time with it last summer. Good thing my AC guy works cheap....or cheaper than most anyways.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:23 PM
TruckForum Addict

The A/C compressor shouldn't kick on when it's that cold. The refrigerant just doesn't do a good job when it's that cold out. I wouldn't sweat it until it's warm out - 60-70F at least before I'd worry about it. If you want, connect your manifold set and look at the pressures. At that temperature, I would think they should be almost equal with your outside air temperature, give or take.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by NullHead
The A/C compressor shouldn't kick on when it's that cold. The refrigerant just doesn't do a good job when it's that cold out. I wouldn't sweat it until it's warm out - 60-70F at least before I'd worry about it. If you want, connect your manifold set and look at the pressures. At that temperature, I would think they should be almost equal with your outside air temperature, give or take.
I have been told that in a couple of places I posted the question....saying that because of the cold, it lowers the pressure so that the compressor wont kick in anyways. I am going to wait until spring to check it out....I dont have a set of gauges, but am thinking of getting some

Thanks guys