Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Best way to change bolt pattern?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Default Best way to change bolt pattern?

I have an 86 Chevy truck front end under my 53.. I am looking for the best way to change the truck from a 5 X 5 bolt pattern to a car style pattern?

Does anyone make a blank rotor?

Is there a car rotor that can replace the truck rotor?

Or do I have to take it to a machine shop to get it done...

I need a car pattern to get the race wheels i am looking for...

Old 03-12-2009, 02:18 AM

For a simple adaptation you will need lug nuts with a floating cone (the tapered part is a washer that will float over to the centerline of each bolt-hole) and correct thread/pitch/length. Use a non-floating locking lugnut on one fastener per wheel. This does not cause enough offcentering to cause vibration or irregular wear. It also prevents the wheel from slipping axially under acceleration/breaking.

In addition you will need hub adapters of the correct ID to match the 164 hub diameter. This is a ring with a precision ID/OD that fits into the rim on the backside. Alfa rims/hubs are a hub-centric design, so long as you maintain the hub centering the floating fasteners should work fine. If you cant get pictures of the backside of the hub to check for the hub-centering bore; or verify the proper offset be prepared to have the hub-centering bore cut into the rim by a wheel repair shop or buy/make a centering ring that will fit to properly mount the wheel.

I think people have also had wheels plugged/redrilled but that gets pretty expensive....