Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Blower on full and won't change speeds plus A/C button won't come on

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Default Blower on full and won't change speeds plus A/C button won't come on

Hi everyone. I guess the title pretty much sums up the problem I'm having . I picked up a '97 Silverado for my son and the blower stays on full blast no matter where the speed dial is at. I've replaced resistors in other cars but to the best of my knowledge when those went bad it was only certain speeds that went out. On this truck the blower is on full even if you set the fan speed to "Off".

Also the A/C button is not turning on. I checked the fuse behind the drivers side panel (25 amp) and it's ok.

The temperature dial works and the recirculate button lights up and works as well.

I pulled the dash panel off to look at the climate control module and there seems to be an extra connector behind the module that is not plugged in but there is not a slot on the module anywhere for it so I'm not sure if it's used or not.

Any ideas or hints will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Jimmy

Old 12-21-2010, 08:36 AM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

that would be the cluster that is bad...mine is the same way at least the blower part. the ac wont come on if there is not enough of a charge to kick it off. to test that you need to bypass the clutch cycling switch. It also could have a burnt out light for the switch or a combination of the 2. My money is on the ac not having a full charge and the cluster for climate control being bad.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:35 AM

That's the way I was leaning, that the climate control module itself had a problem.

About the a/c, on my '99 Tahoe the compressor went bad and lost most (ok, almost all...lol) the freon and the clutch would still cycle but of course it never got cold. Even then the a/c would try to come on but on this when you hit the a/c button it doesn't light up and nothing even tries to happen. I'm hoping it's the climate control module itself, kill two birds with one stone