Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Bose Speaker Replacement Tips for 2012 Sierra Denali

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 10:51 PM
Beginner
Default Bose Speaker Replacement Tips for 2012 Sierra Denali

If anyone out there has a Denali I would appreciate any lessons learned you would be willing to share.

So my truck has the Nav and Bose system installed. I previously had Infinity Reference Series installed in my 09 Silverado Crew Cab. Nice crisp highs and lows. The stock speakers were junk. The Bose system is better stock speakers but I still want to swap out the door speakers, front and rear. Along with the center channel speaker in the dash possibly. With higher quality speakers with rubber surrounds, long term sound.

I was doing some reading and saw it mentioned a few spots where the Bose system speakers are 2 ohm, while most after market speakers are either 3 or 4 ohm. So just doing a 1 for 1 swap will result in a difference of impedance and in turn lower sound volume by default. I can offset that with an upgraded amp for the speakers.

Normally speakers are something I would swap out myself but with adding an amp to the equation and all the other tech present in the truck, I am leaning toward a pro install so I dont run the risk of messing anything else up.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Old 05-18-2015, 11:14 PM
Beginner

So I found these that will fit, and they are 2 ohm impedance like the Bose system.

JBL GX602. Does anyone have JBL GX602's currently? I have previously installed Infinity and Polk systems. I dont have any experience with JBL speakers, so I dont know where to rank their performance.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:37 AM

In my opinion I wouldn't mess with it. Bose is one of the best sounding audio systems out there!!

Old 05-22-2015, 09:49 AM
Beginner

Its not something I am planning to do right away, but factory cloth speakers, even bose are inferior to the rubber surround molded after market speakers you can put in, with titanium tweeter or others that will enhance the highs and lows of the music.

This is just a research project at the moment while I plan what I want to do to it over the next year or so.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:09 PM
Administrator

This is great information. Something I have never researched, so your thread is very helpful.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:39 PM
Beginner

I need to go back and look over the stock Silverado spec's for its stereo. When I did the overhaul on that, I put in Infinity Reference Series all the way around, component tweeter and full 2 way in all four doors. If the connections are the same in my Denali I will probably go that route again. I was always impressed with the range on those and gain from the factory head unit was never an issue, so I am not sure the Ohm impedance difference was enough to make a impact to the sound that I ever noticed.

Infinity Reference X REF-6502ix are what I put in my 09 Crew Cab before in all 4 doors and they crushed everything without a new amp, or head unit. Easy to install and sound deaden the door with a foam ring for vibration feedback against the door metal.

I think I am going to take one of the doors apart and look it over see what I can learn before I decide on a speaker pairing, and I will post the pictures and steps for anyone who is interested on working on there truck as well.