Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

A/c clutch air gap tool

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Beginner
Default A/c clutch air gap tool

My 1996 5.0L, auto, Silverado has too much air gap in the A/C clutch plates and I was wondering if any of you know if the outer plate can be adjusted in, or pushed in closer to the magnetic plate, and exactly which tool would do this. I see those tool kits on eBay but I can't determine if any would fit my clutch shaft. Neither Autozone not O'Reilly's had that tool. Please look at the attachment to see which compressor I'm talking about, and could you ID it for me? I know it's a Delphi but that's about all I know. Man! Is it hot in Missouri!!! I need it bad!

Attached Thumbnails A/c clutch air gap tool-ac1.jpg  
Old 08-25-2013, 12:11 PM
TruckForum Addict

Honestly, I would probably replace the compressor. It will come pre-set and ready to go.

Are you sure the compressor coil is getting good power and ground? It could be that your compressor is shot and all the clutch material is worn off of the plates and they're slipping. Usually you can adjust the clutch air gap by changing the shims inside the clutch/coil assembly, but I can't even begin to tell you how to do this. I know there is a special wrench to hold the clutch so you can take the nut off of the snout of the compressor, but beyond that, I really can't tell you what the spec should be, or how to adjust it without shims.

So I'd replace the compressor.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:01 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by NullHead
Honestly, I would probably replace the compressor. It will come pre-set and ready to go.

Are you sure the compressor coil is getting good power and ground? It could be that your compressor is shot and all the clutch material is worn off of the plates and they're slipping. Usually you can adjust the clutch air gap by changing the shims inside the clutch/coil assembly, but I can't even begin to tell you how to do this. I know there is a special wrench to hold the clutch so you can take the nut off of the snout of the compressor, but beyond that, I really can't tell you what the spec should be, or how to adjust it without shims.

So I'd replace the compressor.
Thanks, I appreciate your advice. I've considered every option, but since the compressor doesn't leak, and the clutch is only $80 at Autozone, I may just replace that. I can just barely tap the outer clutch plate and it kicks on so I know it's only worn a bit. There's a YouTube video that shows a guy screwing a tool onto the center shaft and using a bearing to press the plate in until the gap is correct, but it he fails to mention the tool part number. Here's the link to that video:
Thanks again!

Old 08-26-2013, 08:54 PM
TruckForum Addict

Looks like this powerbuild kit comes with a tool that looks extremely similar to the one he's using in the video.
Alltrade 648995 Kit 65 Air Conditioning Clutch Removal and Installation Tool Set - Amazon.com Alltrade 648995 Kit 65 Air Conditioning Clutch Removal and Installation Tool Set - Amazon.com

I'd ask Advanced Auto if they have an A/C clutch hub kit and just rent it from them. It's 100% free, you just pay for the tool as a down payment, and when you return it, you're refunded.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:25 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by NullHead
Looks like this powerbuild kit comes with a tool that looks extremely similar to the one he's using in the video. Alltrade 648995 Kit 65 Air Conditioning Clutch Removal and Installation Tool Set - Amazon.com

I'd ask Advanced Auto if they have an A/C clutch hub kit and just rent it from them. It's 100% free, you just pay for the tool as a down payment, and when you return it, you're refunded.
There's no Advanced Auto anywhere around here and no other auto store has kits of any kind to loan or rent. The kit can be bought for $62 on eBay but there's no description of what it works on. But, It's the closest thing that I've seen yet that MIGHT work. Thanks!!

Old 08-27-2013, 07:57 PM
TruckForum Addict

Well I guess to answer your original question, I have no clue how to tell what that kit works on. You'll have to find one locally and take a look, or take a chance and order it online.