Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Replacing rear window on an 89

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Default Replacing rear window on an 89

So, i wake up this morning to find that some thug punched our my back window and loaded the cab with broken beer bottles

My question is how do you replace the window?? is it simple like going to a bone yard and finding a new one and it be put in using rubber seals?

Old 06-07-2009, 06:35 PM
TruckForum Addict

Call around to the different window shops. It is a pain in the **** to do it yourself...

Old 06-07-2009, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by timber74wolf
Call around to the different window shops. It is a pain in the **** to do it yourself...
With the cheapest shop $375 i think ill deal with the pain in the ****......

Old 06-08-2009, 05:52 PM
TruckForum Addict

In that case get a window whether it be a sliding rear window or solid glass. New seal. Cross a string around the rubber seal after you wrap it around inbetween teh seal after get it on the window. Cover it with lots and lots and lots of dish soap. Then you and 2 buddy's get together. ! hold it outside the truck in place and you and the other buddy slowly pull the string working the seal in place... I hope that made some sence. Good Luck!

Old 06-08-2009, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by timber74wolf
In that case get a window whether it be a sliding rear window or solid glass. New seal. Cross a string around the rubber seal after you wrap it around inbetween teh seal after get it on the window. Cover it with lots and lots and lots of dish soap. Then you and 2 buddy's get together. ! hold it outside the truck in place and you and the other buddy slowly pull the string working the seal in place... I hope that made some sence. Good Luck!

Local mechanic here told me to get some piano wire and get it thought and use it to saw the window out..

the old one was solid glass but im thinking i might like a sliding window better

Old 06-09-2009, 03:44 PM
TruckForum Addict

Sliding glass is the way to go if you like to cruise with your windows down. I use to travel from Fort Campbell, Ky to Houston, Tx with the sliding rear window open at night and was plenty cool. And I use to go from houston, Tx to San Antonio, Tx for my reserve weekend the same way.
Oh yeah and I forgot how the new rear windows are mounted to teh cab, but installing a sliding rear window still might be the same to instal as I said. Good Luck.