Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

FUEL PUMP WHINES REALLY LOUD !HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 11:50 AM
Default FUEL PUMP WHINES REALLY LOUD !HELP!

Hi I'm new to the board and I just purchased a 1998 chevy silverado Z71 one week ago. I have noticed that the fuel pump is extremly loud, is this normal. I also have been paying attention to other silverado's of that body style and have noticed that they also sound the same. Does any one here have this bodystyle truck and can you hear your fuel pump whinning noticeably while the truck is on.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-29-2006, 01:00 PM
Default RE: FUEL PUMP WHINES REALLY LOUD !HELP!

i have a 96 with the same body style as yours. i bought the truck last october and about 1 week later the fuel pump went out. i replaced it with a new GM fuel pump and its as quiet as can be. the old pump was also quiet. i can't even hear it.
its possible someone replaced your fuel pump with a generic aftermarket fuel pump that could be louder.

heres how you fix it
1) louder stereo
2) louder exhaust

Old 09-29-2006, 06:00 PM
Default RE: FUEL PUMP WHINES REALLY LOUD !HELP!

I have heard that when they start whining loudly, they are about to go out. However, I had a 97 shortwide for four years and the fuel pump never went out, dispite the loud whining the entire time. I've heard lots of other ones doing it also, so its no suprise that yours is doing doing it as well. One thing about the loud noise is that it makes it really easy to tell if the pump went out. Other than the loud stereo or exhaust, the only way I know to fix it is to replace it...that is if you feel like parting with your hard earned cash.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Default fuel pump noise

i just bought a 1998 silverado 2500 ext cab with 110000 on it and the pump just out of the blue on day when i was about to leave a job site just stoped working now i think i have to drop the tank and replace it if i can go a nother route please let me know ? but i would say save about 500 bones cuz when it happens you well need it to replace urz

Old 05-03-2009, 01:07 PM

yes i can hear it well i did hear it till the other day it just stoped and yes it was loud and now i turn my key to the on pos and nothing at all

Old 05-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Very common...they get the loudest when the tank is below 1/4 full. Could either be a factory unit on its way out or an aftermarket one. The aftermarket one's are always loud and usually don't last. GM has a new upgrade pump that brings with it a new harness. I just put one in my 2000 Suburban and now it is quiet. The older OEM pumps would slowly burn up especially if the vehicle was run below 1/4 tank for many miles. They rely on the gas in the tank to cool the pump, but they are mounted to where when the tank gets below the 1/4 mark they are no longer submerged (just the pick-up tube is). Keep your level above 1/4!

Old 05-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Well with my 40 gallon tank, I try to keep her above half otherwise its a pain in the @$$. Yes i keep my wallet in my back pocket

Old 05-04-2009, 11:36 AM
TruckForum Addict

The pumps from what I have been told are now suppose to whine enough for you to hear. That way you know it is working as mentioned before. I replaced my pump in my 90 with a A/C delco factory pump and it was audible. Just because it is whining is not a good indcator it is getting ready to go out.
And an easy way to change any pump is to pull the bed off the truck or atleast angle it up on 1 side with a stand to support it... way better than trying to man handle a tank down... trust me. Mine went out with a freshly filled tank of fuel.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:15 PM

my 98 silverado has a epic loud fuel pump, it has been like that since day 1. perfectly normal in some cases

Old 05-06-2009, 12:26 PM

it was the fuel pump it works now with a new after market pump it is alot less loud i can hear it turn on tho

Quick Reply: FUEL PUMP WHINES REALLY LOUD !HELP!