Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Chaning axle oil and tranny oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:40 PM
Default Chaning axle oil and tranny oil

My truck has 60k miles on it and I think it is timeto change the tranny fluid and the axle fluids (I just got the truck, so I don't know what the previous owner did/did not do. So...

Tranny:
Should I have the Chevy dealership do a tranny flush/fill or should I just do a drain/fill myself. If I do it myself, any suggestions? What fluid should I use? How do I do it?

Axles: What fluid should I use. Anything special I need to do other than use a new gasket?

Thanks!

Old 10-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Default RE: Chaning axle oil and tranny oil

please...make sure whoever does it DRAINS THE PAN AND REPLACES THE INTERNAL FILTER,,
this will run ya about 125 bucks on the tranny...many quickie-joints just "flush" the trans for about the same money...in effect,they have really done nothing except put pretty fluid into the dirty filter.

the axle...simple enough...but you need gl5 oil....around 25 bucks a qt.....
regular 90w will destroy your rear end

Old 10-10-2007, 01:52 PM

I would do the axles at home and have the tranny done. I took my truck to a trusted oil-change operation where they used a B&G machine to flush and fill the transmission. It supposedly cleans out the filter too but just in case, I'll have that done by the dealership at 100K. So in answer to your question, take it somewhere you trust or to the dealership and have them do the filter and fluid exchange. It will cost you but it is the propper way to do it. On a budget, flush and fill is ok. Axles are easy. If its a 4x4: The front axle has a drain plug. Next plug up is the filler. You'll might need some kind of pump to get it back in if you have little clearance (for the bottle). Same goes for the transfer case. I'd do that too. On my truck the rear had a drain plug too but yours might not. (Look at the very bottom). If not, you have to unbolt the rear diff cover, drain the diff, and replace the gasket. Look in the manual or online to find out which fluids you need (specific to year, make and model).

Old 10-10-2007, 01:57 PM

Argon: While we are on the subject. I always trusted B&G equipment and products. We were trained on them at the garage i worked at. They are (quoted by them) just as good as replacing the filter because they cycle cleaners through the tranny that has been proven to break up the junk in the filter, then the fluid is replaced. I bought into it (of course) but I know I still have to do the filter anyways at some point. I did it this past time becase I had no money and the tranny fluid was burnt. I had a trip to Florida ahead of me so I just did it.

Question is: Should I do the filter asap?

Old 10-10-2007, 02:19 PM

Thanks guys for the help! I sure hope the diffs have a drain plug, that would make things so much easier.

In regards to the tranny...is 60k a good time to do the flush? How often are we supposed to change the tranny fluid in these trucks (more specifically, the 5.3's)?

Old 10-10-2007, 02:26 PM

Every 60K I think. Check the manual.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:41 PM

the flush..Bg,Wynnes...is inferior in my opinion...what about the sediment on the bottom of the pan?...if it cleans the filter good as new,why has no major manufacturer decided that this is the way to go?

and if a flush was 30 bucks...not 130,the argument for them may go farther.

as for schedules...about 50k is gm's recomendation...100k on the rear axle though

Old 10-11-2007, 07:10 AM

Argon: What do you think I should do? Should I do it now or wait til 100K. Honest opinion.

In reguards to the manufacturer comment, I know they would say to do it this way if it worked better but I think everyone in here can agree, there are quite a few things that can be done different with these trucks that would make more sense.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:35 AM

i'd wait on the axle till 100k,UNLESS it may have water in it from a boat launch or something.
i'd do the tranny now....again,make SURE the filter gets changed,and quality dexron 3 goes in...like Exxon..labeled "Dexron 3"...not some junk that "will work" where dexron 3 is called for.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:47 AM

Ok, Im gonna have it done when I get it inpected this month. Im taking it to a new guy who is closer to home but he has a great rep around here. I'd do it myself but no garage, no lift and it is pretty cold right now. How much you think at a non-dealership little Mom and Pop garage? Around $130?

Quick Reply: Chaning axle oil and tranny oil