Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

check engine oil light

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Default check engine oil light

Every so often, my "check engine oil level" light comes on. I checkedthe dipstickand it was barely reading on the dipstick, but no visible leaks. I checked the oil pressure gage, that was reading fine, around 45 or so doing around town and highway speeds,not sure idling. This also happened last summer, same thing, barely read on the dipstick. My garage where i bought the truck, did the last oil change (free oil changes for as long as i own the truck), i wanted to call them to see what the mileage was when they did it last, but they were closed. I put 2 quarts in, but it being night, i couldn't see that good, where the level read on the dipstick, but when i started the truck back up, the "check engine oil level" light did not come back on. Truck weren't running hot at all. Any suggestions? Thanx, Jim 2003 Silverado 4.8L w/ 70,000 miles...................... I use 10W 30 Oil

Old 01-14-2008, 10:13 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: check engine oil light

If your absolutely certain is isn't leaking it then it's obviously burning it. There's a good chance you've got a blown head gasket, cracked head, or something else along those lines. It's unlikely at 70,000 miles you've just got bad rings or valve seats unless you've just been all out racing the motor a whole lot. May also check the coolant to see if there is any oil in it.

Also, how long of an interval do you wait between oil changes? Your comment on asking someone at work when the last time your oil change was done kind of concernsme. If you are using conventional oil you should change it every 3,000-4,000 miles.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:41 PM

I'm thinking its been more than 3,000 miles since my last oil change. I checked this morning before i went to work and last night i added 2 qts of oil. When i pulled the dipstick this morning, it was about 3/8" over the full mark. I figure i must have been down maybe a quart, quart and a half. Theres probably no solid way of saying, if its off the dipstick yer down X amount of quarts, is there? Every vehicle is different, so the light may come on when mine is down a quart, and may come on when down 2 quarts on another vehicle. Just before Christmas, i made 2 runs with my truck, and racked up about 700 miles over 2 trips, plus my everyday driving, and i suppose i coulda lost track of the mileage between oil changes. I generally change it around 3,500 - 4,000 miles faithfully, and like i said, its only happened twice. Let me re-itterate what i was referring to in reference of my last oil change intival. When i bought the truck, i get free oil changes for as long as i own the vehicle, up to 4 changes a year. I'm not sure what the mileage was when they did the last oil change, as they did the last oil change. I have not remembered to call them during the day, while i'm at work so i can find out what the mileage was when they did the oil change. When i get home from work, they are already closed. I am going to do an oil change this weekend on my truck and the wifes Avalanche. I thought there was a way to set the computer so when the oil change is due, it says so, but i haven't been able to remember how to set it. Maybe in my manual will tell me, i'll have to check. I'll keep ya informed, Jim

Old 01-15-2008, 05:38 PM

The check engien oil light only come on it you over a quart low its more lie 2 quarts low. And it you dont see a big pudle under where you park your truck then you are or sure burning it. It will tell you some where in your manual how to change the distance inbetween your oil changes.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:06 PM

DO you see and traces of oil in the water or water in the oil?

Old 01-15-2008, 06:21 PM

I'm gonna do an oil change this weekend, so i'll check for water in the oil, but i doubt it. Water in the oil, wouldn't it show oil level as over full?

Old 01-15-2008, 07:09 PM

It will never tell you if there is too much oil in it, just if it is low. Has your truck been running hotter than normal? If not then I think that you burning all of your oil.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:09 AM

Thats what i'm thinking, because it has not been running hotter than normal. If it was leaking it, i'd see it on the ground underneath it. Like i said, it has done this twice, since i bought it back in May. And just before Christmas, i took a couple long hauls with it, and i was running 75-80 mph alot of the way. But i'll check the oil when i change it this weekend. Thanx all, Jim