Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Chevy 1500 HD Crew Cab or F-150 Super Crew??...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 10:13 PM
Question Chevy 1500 HD Crew Cab or F-150 Super Crew??...

I'm currently looking for a new truck for myself. I've been a Ford girl my whole life until the group of friends I've currently been hanging out with for a while all have Chevys that never have any major problems. So that's got me thinking that Chevys just might be better. That and the fact that our Ford now is having problems, the tranny was replaced at about 145k and all the spark plugs were replaced last summer, and we just had it in the shop again like a month ago but now it hesitates when you accelerate. Although it never was the same at accelerating on the highway after the new tranny was put in...

So my question is do I want to get a Chevy 1500 HD Crew Cab or stick with an F-150 Super Crew? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Any help would be really appreciated, THANKS!

Old 06-24-2011, 10:24 PM
TruckForum Addict

chevys and all vehicals have problems there is a thread on hear devoted to common gm issues read it first and im sure there is one for fords under the ford section
your friends probably dont talk much about the stuff they have to get fixed or replaced
anyway i would get a chevy but go with what you like and dont jump on the band wagon and get a chevy just cause they have one
me personally i love chevy as thats the only brand my parents and grandparents and i have ever owned
easy to work on easy to fix easy to troubleshoot lol not really but more so then ford

Old 06-24-2011, 10:33 PM

I'll take a look at those. I realize all vehicles have problems and it depends on the way you drive but I straight up ask them about what kinda problems they have with them and they tell me everything, the good and the bad. I'm not worried so much about the minor problems as the major problems, like getting a new tranny. I've done some research on Chevys and I find that most of them last longer when it comes to mileage.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:26 AM

Ive driven fords dodges and chevys.

Personally i like chevys alot more because they have rust problems more than engine problems which ill take anyday.

i never get into the truck wars because i love all American trucks.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

All the cool people drive Chevy and GMC's!

Old 06-25-2011, 09:21 AM

wow! I realy liked Wiked & cubpak89's suggestios. It is nice not see that question just turn into slamming the other guys brand. I have a 2002 silverado with 195k on it, a realy nice truck, no major problems, ( knock on wood). But I just bought a 2005 f250 with only 33k on it, I love it. So my suggestion is drive them both get the one YOU LIKE . There are so many models,trims, and options, on trucks it's hard to compair apples to apples. Buy what you like!

Old 06-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Administrator

I've always preffered GM and most of my relatives worked at General Motors... but as of the last 3-5 years I think that they are slipping something aweful. It seems like the quality of Chevys and GMC's is gone and so is the dealer support. The other day My grandfather got a flat on his 2011 GMC Terrain... The TPMS told him the left front tire was low... Unfortunately the right rear was the one that was flat. They've never been rotated either... it's just frustrating. We've had that car in and out of the dealer 20 times and sometimes it won't even start.

as of 2008 we had a 2004 Impala, a 2008 Impala, a 2006 GMC 2500 Dmax, and a 1992 SIlverado. Now we have a 2010 Acura, a 2011 Ford F350, a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville, a 2011 GMC Terrain (Junk), and a 1998 GMC.

You can see the trend here...

Old 06-25-2011, 10:22 AM
TruckForum Addict

it also depends on how well they take care of there trucks
most gm owners i know take very very very very good care of there cars trucks and what not the better you take care of them the longer they will last until eventually the engine wears itself out and looses its will to live
we have an 87 f150 at work and it has over 700,000 miles on it but she still kciks over every time shes started and driven ( its my hey go get this person after they drop there vehical off vehical ) so i dont have to waste gas only companys

also when looking at a vehical you will want to ask the right questions about what was wrong and what isnt you may want to try and get a carfax report or maintanance records from whereever
also bring somebody who is mechanicaly inclined or is a mechanic to inspect the vehical with you and make sure to allways test drive the vehical both in the city and interstate if possibly - to see how it shifts and if any leaks are found after your done

Old 06-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by greatlakes
wow! I realy liked Wiked & cubpak89's suggestios. It is nice not see that question just turn into slamming the other guys brand. I have a 2002 silverado with 195k on it, a realy nice truck, no major problems, ( knock on wood). But I just bought a 2005 f250 with only 33k on it, I love it. So my suggestion is drive them both get the one YOU LIKE . There are so many models,trims, and options, on trucks it's hard to compair apples to apples. Buy what you like!
Sorry you didn't like my answer! I was obviously joking and I guess a sense of humor is rare these days. The best truck is the one that gets the job done. I have driven them all and personally have chosen to keep GM's in my fleet. They are all going to have problems eventually so whatever you buy just try and inspect it and get as much history as possible. I guess I have been on here a while and the whole Chevy/Ford/Dodge thing is something that pops up quite a bit. This forum is dominated with GM truck lovers so that will usually be the opinion you get here. Go to a Ford forum and you will get a different answer I am sure. Personally if I could get a Cummins Diesel with an Allison transmission in a Ford F250 body, with a GM interior, sitting on a HD GM Chassis I would be very happy!!!!!!

Old 06-25-2011, 09:42 PM

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it!! I think I am gonna get the Chevy but I'm definitely going to test drive every truck I find before deciding to buy it. I'm very used to ford trucks so it may take a while to get used to a smaller windshield and no power adjustable pedals, as I'm on the shorter side hahah. But I do drive my friends 2500 sometimes so I do have a feel for them. I'm definitely going to be one of those people that babies their truck, I already do it to the family Ford truck so I hope I dont have any major problems down the road.

Wiked I am the same way pretty much, I'll take any American truck anyday over a foreign truck. Although I do have my favorites. No offense to any foreign vehicle companies but I will never buy foreign. I'm just too American and prefer things to be made in the USA.

Quick Reply: Chevy 1500 HD Crew Cab or F-150 Super Crew??...