Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Clunk and rub Silverado 4x4 front drivers side

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 09:14 PM
nvb
Beginner
Default Clunk and rub Silverado 4x4 front drivers side

2001 Silverado, 4x4, 1500, extended cab, 5.3.

Drivers side front tire.

This issue just started roughly a week ago, and its been driving me crazy trying to determine exactly what is going on.

The issue began that when turning right (only right) I would get a loud, but regular clunking noise, metal on metal. Straightening out was fine, turning left was fine. Getting a little more of the clunk with less of a turn now, but not as loud until I turn tighter.

Then just a few days ago a rubbing noise has also started occurring when going straight, left and right. Its a slower sounding rub, lasting longer than just a quick hit, but its there almost the entire time. I say almost as it does seem to cease from time to time at highway speeds (not always, just sometimes) but recurs after a stop or a long slow down time (15/20 seconds). It sounds like two pieces of metal just rubbing across one another, (imagine if you can, that you had something on the tire that would rub half the wheel well every other spin of the tire *its not hitting the wheel well, thats just a way to hopefully help you visualize the frequency and duration*).

1) So clunking of metal when turning right, and even a bit after straightening up, but not as loud or severe as when in a harder right turn.

2) Rubbing of metal now when going left, right, or straight. (but not always)

The sway bar seems ok from initial inspections, just fyi.

Im leaning towards CV joint. Im not ruling out bearings, but I dont get that whirring sound, that increases at higher speeds, the noises do the opposite almost, i.e. they dont get louder or worse at higher speeds.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions, and estimates on diy vs shop fixing would be appreciated.

Last edited by nvb; 12-09-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:04 AM
nvb
Beginner

UPDATE:

Turns out my mounting HUB cracked and thus the CV joint was loose, and of course got looser. The upper and lower bushings were fine, fortunately, as well as all the other parts.

I replaced the mounting bars as well, took a long time, but overall a straight-forward fix.

I would have lost the wheel had I attempted any further driving on it, but again, all done now.

For those that might find this, the estimates I got when I called around to see about having someone do the work ranged from $700 to $1000. The parts ran me just a shade over $200, but Im sure they could have fixed it faster than I did, lol, but still a good thing to know how now, and with a nice savings.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:11 AM

Thanks for following up and letting us know what you found. Glad you were able to get it fixed.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Yeah I was about to suggest a wheel bearing/ hub.

If you have a 30mm socket and breaker bar, this is a job that I do myself just because what they charge is ridiculous.

Thanks for sharing

Old 12-23-2016, 03:44 PM
Beginner

Thanks for sharing this info!