Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Cold Air Intake / Ram Air?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Default Cold Air Intake / Ram Air?

I have a 2006 Silverado with a 4.3L engine (Anyone know what manual trans does this have?). I have a lot of room inside my engine compartment.

I am thinking about either cutting the bottom of the air box completely off allowing more airflow. Or cutting a four inch hole in the bottom and running an ABS pipe down to the grill area and installing a cone filter.

I plan on doing it only to the grill area(if I have room) I live in southern Oregon where it rains 2 months of the year. Otherwise I will be putting it to the bumper, there is a place where a light can be cut out it out.

Now will running the ABS pipe make a difference compared to completely cutting off the bottom of the air box? If it is better to do the ABS should I also put something on the end of the ABS pipe to make sort of a funnel to help force moire into the pipe?

Thanks! I am new here and looking to get the most performance and MPG from my truck.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:55 PM

So...anyone?

Old 11-30-2010, 04:48 PM
TruckForum Addict

Most people just cut a hole in the bottom of the air box or drill a bunch of holes in the bottom of the front where the box faces the headlight.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:38 PM

If I cut half of the stock airbox out(making 1/2 a square with 2 sides) and use it as a partition between the cone filter and engine compartment. Then also run a 4 inch ABS duct from behind the grill/bumper up to the bottom of the cone filter.

for the intake behind the grill/bumper I am planning on a T with 6inches extending from both ends and then cutting is in half long ways so it is a half circle. Should I use straight pipes extending directly out of the T or should I use a fitting with a 15degree bend to help direct the air into the pipe?

Would this work as a cold air intake and also an ram?

Should I leave the top of the airbox alone so it can't draw hot air from above it?

Should I put sometype of filter in the 4 inch duct to help stop water etc?

Thanks guys

Old 12-06-2010, 03:24 AM
jvp

Love Southern Oregon, one of my favorite vacation areas.

Back to your truck do not expect any real performance gains unless you drive WOT!
Last time I was in Oregon I noticed that the State Troopers are pretty good at setting
up speed traps and they seem to catch a lot of fish.

As for a noticeable increase in MPG, not much if any.

The one thing that it does do in Oregon as you stated is it rains, and it can rain really hard opening up your air box you may expose your engine to water.

Now if all your looking for that go fast sound of sucking air these mods should get
you there.

For performance test with cold air induction check out K&N's website, you will notice
that that the performance gains come int at higher RPM's, not where most of drive as daily drivers.

Don't want to rain on your project, no pun intended? But during my time in Oregon I do recall crossing more that one creek on my outtings just one more reason not to open the air box.

Just my thoughts

Good Luck

jvp

Old 12-07-2010, 03:10 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by jvp
Love Southern Oregon, one of my favorite vacation areas.

Back to your truck do not expect any real performance gains unless you drive WOT!
Last time I was in Oregon I noticed that the State Troopers are pretty good at setting
up speed traps and they seem to catch a lot of fish.

As for a noticeable increase in MPG, not much if any.

The one thing that it does do in Oregon as you stated is it rains, and it can rain really hard opening up your air box you may expose your engine to water.

Now if all your looking for that go fast sound of sucking air these mods should get
you there.

For performance test with cold air induction check out K&N's website, you will notice
that that the performance gains come int at higher RPM's, not where most of drive as daily drivers.

Don't want to rain on your project, no pun intended? But during my time in Oregon I do recall crossing more that one creek on my outtings just one more reason not to open the air box.

Just my thoughts

Good Luck

jvp
I do agree, but to get the full benefit, the intake tube will need to be changed. Some guys have used PVC piping and have gotten great results.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:17 PM

I was thinking of using ABS compared to PVC.

My local hardware stores (Lowes and HD) have 3 and 4 inch ABS. My current intake pipe is round and 3.5 inches around. I believe it is a stock intake pipe. The connection to the TB is stock looking.

I was thinking of using the 3" abs (cheaper and I think the 4" would be overkill??)

Some of the things I have been reading is that the ABS is less effective compared to the stock intake because of the ridges in the inside of the ABS causing turbulence.

My MAF has a 3.5" connection. I don't think they make a rubber reducer/connector(I forgot the name of them, used to connect ABS to iron pipe or where you can't glue in a union)

Does it have to be ABS? I was thinking of copper pipe that can be sweat soldered together. Should be a lot smoother inside compared to the ABS.

Thanks!