Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Common Chevy & GMC Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:32 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator
Default Common Chevy & GMC Issues

I thought it might be helpful if we made a list of things that we all know are common flaws and are prone to go wrong. This really should be a sticky in my opinion. How do you make a sticky? Anyway here is a starting list...

1999 and later fuel pumps - get louder and eventually wear out especially if constantly ran under 1/4 tank of gas.

1999 and later fuel level senders - gas guage goes back and forth from "E" to what you actually have in the tank

1999 and later throttle bodies getting a carbon build up and idle gets affected

1999 and later 4X4 Switches go bad frequently - if you can solder you can open them up and repair them though

1996-Early 1999 intake gaskets leaking - you don't want to know how many of these I've done!

1996-Early 1999 spider injection leaking and making for hard starts

OK I started it...lets hear what you have had happen repeatedly!

Old 04-14-2009, 10:09 AM

1999 and later tailgate handle breaks

Old 04-14-2009, 10:39 AM

90's
Tailgate handles stick and are hard to open.
Intake manifold gasket failures.
Interior vent slides break.
Seat nets stretch out
Visor elastic stretches out

Thats about all I know. I have encountered all of those on my 96.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:56 AM

All year tailgate support cables breaking

1999-Later Daytime running lights bulbs burning out

Radio Display Lights Burning Out

1999-2005 cluster (stepper motors) going out - if your guages are freaking out this is usually the cause

Low Pressure A/C Switch going bad

Cold Start Piston Slap in later Vortec's - does your truck sound like it's knocking in the morning or when it hasn't been started in a while? GM says don't worry about it. It won't hurt anything! WHAT!?!?!?!

Later Vortec's (4.8. 5.3 6.0 8.1) knock sensor code. They are under the upper intake and are prone to getting a puddle of water (from rain or engine cleaning - not coolant) down in the hole they sit in. A new knock sensor, a little RTV and a couple hours is all you need. It's usually just the rear one, but they are both under the intake so don't be cheap replace them both! You should replace the harness at the sme time...they are available from the dealer fairly cheap.

2004-2006 Blower motor resistors frying the wires. GM has an upgrade kit for this that has a new heavier guage harness. If your A/C doesn't blow this is usually the cause (I say usually b/c there is always the exception).

1988-Early 1999-taillight circuit boards corroding. If a bulb and or fuse replacement doesn't fix your lights check the circuit board inside your tailight.

I have more, but I gotta get some work done here!

Last edited by Mr_Shamrock; 04-14-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:09 AM

Thats a good point about the cold start tapping.

I stickied this. It'll be a good thread if everyone pitches in.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:19 AM

OK it just started pouring so here are a few more...

1995-E1999 Interior door handles breaking - I just saw that they are available in the "Help" section at the auto parts store

1999-Later ABS sensor going bad - they are located on the front hub and have to be replaced with the hub assembly. If your "Brake" and "ABS" light comes on at the same time this is usually the case. Have it checked, but it usually doesn't do anything. Mine has been coming on randomly for the past year...I just can't see spending over $300 for 2 hubs just to not see a light once every few weeks.

1988-1994 A/C recirculation door doing the bump bump bump. Does it sound like someone is knocking on the passengers floor when you first start your truck. Thats the door opening and closing rapidly. You can just unplug it and always have recirculated air.

I just want to clarify I started this thread as a tool for helping people who may have an issue they can't figure out or to let people know what to look for when buying a used truck. I am in no way trying to bash Chevy or GMC. I ONLY drive Chevy and GMC trucks and will continue to do so forever! I wouldn't trade my 173,000 mile work truck for a brand new __________ (fill in the blank with any of those other companies out there). Just felt like that needed to be said!

Old 04-14-2009, 11:25 AM

Forgot about the broken door handle issues... Occured on one of my dad's company trucks. It was a 99 Suburban.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:16 PM

1999-Later Steering Shaft Bump - You will feel bumping in your steering wheel and/or it feels like something is loose in the front end. - GM sells a kit to regrease these and get rid of the bump, but they will have to regreased periodically. There are some aftermarket units that are supposed to get rid of this issue once and for all. I haven't had any experience with them though.

Alot of people don't realize that some GM trucks have what is called a cabin filter. This filters the air that is blown out of your A/C vents. If your blower doesn't feel like it blows that hard or you have a foul odor check that filter. It is located under the dash on the passenger side. They have some available with arm & hammer which is supposed to neutralize odor. I put one in my work truck and it made a great difference...the blower blows harder now and there is a fresh smell coming from the A/C now. When I took the old one out there was a bunch of crap that came out with it (dirt, leaves, dust, and a bunch of funky stuff). Look into it!

Old 04-14-2009, 12:28 PM

73-87 chevy trucks- speedometer bouncing all over the place. I think there was a nylon gear in the transmission that connected the speedometer cable. (If any of you want an old truck, this has been in my experiance before.)

90s chevy trucks- EGR valve going bad causing poor gas milage.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:59 PM

Sometimes on the 73-87 you can pull the speedometer cable off from behind the cluster and shoot some good lube down the cable (use alot). I have found this worked when the bouncing was accompanied by a very annoying squeek. Man I miss my 84 Silverado!!!!! I sold it to put a down payment on my first house in 1997. I guess the house was a better investment though.

Quick Reply: Common Chevy & GMC Issues