Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

cylinder # 6 misfire on a 97' Z71

Old 04-06-2010, 05:51 AM
Default cylinder # 6 misfire on a 97' Z71

A well cared for 1997 Chevy C1500 5.7 4x4 with 185K miles on it was running great, until first start yesterday morning was very rough and check engine light flashed. Drove to work with engine obviously running rough, check engine light continued flashing. After work, same thing. Stopped at a local Pep Boys with my PB card and a mechanic scanned for the code thrown. He said it was a # 6 cylinder misfire and suggested new plugs. Those old plugs had nearly a 100k miles on em' so I bought & installed new ones. Oh boy were those old ones worn looking! None appeared fouled or unusually black, just very worn looking. Started my truck and still the same roughness. Any advice? New wires? Fuel injector problem? My 17 year old son is very interested in becoming a mechanic and is in his 3rd class of high school auto mechanics and he told me it's most likely the blinker fluid, and if that doesn't fix the problem, perhaps it's the muffler bearing. Hmmm....

Old 04-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

It could be a few things...plug wire, cap or rotor, or the Vortec motors are known for the spider injection going bad which will throw that code. Did you notice what the #6 plug looked like? Is it harder to start?

Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Administrator

blinker fluid? Muffler bearing????

Damn you're going to need a metric crescent wrench to get at those.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Ford and Dodge Truck Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by DriveLineBand
A well cared for 1997 Chevy C1500 5.7 4x4 with 185K miles on it was running great, until first start yesterday morning was very rough and check engine light flashed. Drove to work with engine obviously running rough, check engine light continued flashing. After work, same thing. Stopped at a local Pep Boys with my PB card and a mechanic scanned for the code thrown. He said it was a # 6 cylinder misfire and suggested new plugs. Those old plugs had nearly a 100k miles on em' so I bought & installed new ones. Oh boy were those old ones worn looking! None appeared fouled or unusually black, just very worn looking. Started my truck and still the same roughness. Any advice? New wires? Fuel injector problem? My 17 year old son is very interested in becoming a mechanic and is in his 3rd class of high school auto mechanics and he told me it's most likely the blinker fluid, and if that doesn't fix the problem, perhaps it's the muffler bearing. Hmmm....
A misfire on #6 Cylinder is DTC P0306 I believe

A P0306 code means that the the car's computer has detected that one of the engine's cylinders is not firing properly. In this case it's cylinder #6

A code P0306 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Faulty spark plug or wire
Faulty coil (pack)
Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
Faulty fuel injector
Burned exhaust valve
Faulty catalytic converter(s)
Running out of fuel
Poor compression
Defective computer

If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the cylinders (i.e. spark plugs). Depending on how long the ignition components have been in the truck, it may be a good idea to replace them as part of your regular maintenance schedule.

I would suggest spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor (if applicable). Otherwise, check the coils (a.k.a. coil packs).

In some cases, the catalytic converter has gone bad. If you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust, your cat converter needs to be replaced. I've also heard in other cases the problems were faulty fuel injectors.

Last edited by Worf; 04-06-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Default update

I put new plugs and plug wires and the engine still runs rough - just like that one cylinder isn't firing like the code says. I checked that # 6 plug wire connected to a plug grounded and it has spark at idle. I don't know if there's spart at load though. The oxygen sensor was replaced about 3 years ago. Funny about the metric crescent wrench. My son says he should tell his girlfriend's mother that he'll need to buy one of those the next time she wants him to work on her jap car. Any advice about the next step with this Chevy truck?

Old 04-08-2010, 12:03 AM

If you have spark then I would check compression on that cylinder. If you have good compression then it is probably the injector for that cylinder.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:06 AM
Default Update

This roughness running thing all started one morning so I'm thinking (re-worded HOPING) that it's not a compression problem, since it wasn't a gradual thing. (I was also hoping it would have just been the blinker fluid or that a metric crescent wrench would have fixed the problem). Would a compression thing basically mean the engine needs an overhaul?

If it's a fuel injector problem, does anybody recommend that one injector be taken off and cleaned? Or individually replaced? Or the whole multi port unit replaced? The code thrown was for a misfire on cylinder # 6. I'm wondering about the reliability of this code. Do professional mechanics really trust these codes? If so, would it be advised to focus exclusively on that # 6 cylinder?

Thanks to you all for the great input!

Old 04-08-2010, 05:26 AM
Ford and Dodge Truck Forum Moderator

In some cases, the catalytic converter has gone bad. If you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust, your cat converter needs to be replaced.

There is a diffrent code for a multiple cyl misfire so I would start with just cyl #6

Have you tried checking the injector for the number 6 cyl?

Most fuel injectors will have an electrical resistance of approximately 10 to 18 Ohms;
check the service manual for your vehicle's exact amount.

Injectors can usually be researched online as well for a specific vehicle type to find the correct amount of Ohms.

For this check, you do not need the vehicle running or the ignition to be on. You will be checking Ohms.

First, remove the corresponding electrical connector from the injector you wish to test.

Now you should see two metal prongs (contacts) inside where the connector was. Set your meter to the Ohms (Ω) setting.

Next touch your red meter lead to one injector contact, and the black meter lead to the other contact. Since you are in the Ohms setting, it does not matter which lead goes on either contact. With the meter in the lower Ohms setting, you should get around the same resistance on all your injectors.

If one injector is reading much higher or lower than the rest, it is most likely bad. If you get an open (O.L.) or zero Ohms (shorted), then your injector should be replaced.

You could also check a fuel injector by carefully putting a long screwdriver directly on the injector while the engine is running.

Using a long shank screwdriver, hold the screwdriver handle up to your ear, the shank on the sensor itself, and you should be able to hear a clicking noise. If not, then it is probably either clogged or the circuit inside is open.

If in doubt whether the injector is bad or not, try switching the suspected bad injector with a known working one, say change cyl 6 with cyl 5. Clear the codes, now when the code comes back if it is showing a misfire on cyl 5 now then you know that the injector is bad.

Last edited by Worf; 04-08-2010 at 05:49 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:41 AM

I agree on the compression, but it is such a quick thing to check I always do that first.
For the matter of work involved I would change the whole injection (spider) unit b/c if one has become brittle enough to break then the others aren't far behind. If you haven't already done so recently do the lower intake gaskets as well they are known to fail and leak coolant usually in the front corners where the intake and heads come together.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:23 PM

Hey guys,
My 89 GMC with 5.7, ran like a bag of **** all of a sudden, replaced the O2 sensor and it ran PERFECT! And a little why'll ago it started to get a really bad MISS, it was the cap and rotor.

If i was you, id start with a compression test. Id replace the cap and rotor and wires, won't hurt to have new ones.

Hope this helps

O, AND WHAT THE HECK IS BLINKER FLUID!!! OR METRIC CRESCENT WRENCH!!!!???????? Where are these on a truck?? Maybe a Toyota..But a Chevy/GMC! COME ON!!!

Last edited by GMC89; 04-10-2010 at 04:30 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cylinder # 6 misfire on a 97' Z71