Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Disabling automatic headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Default Disabling automatic headlights

Here's one even my local dealership can't give me an answer to...

2000 Sierra 1500 4WD, built in Canada, and first sold in Canada, so it doesn't offer me the ability to shut off my automatic headlamps (the dome override button procedure doesn't do anything). I would like to disable the automatic headlights function so that I can operate the truck when needed with the headlights off after dark. Parking lights and DRL's aren't a problem, but there are times I would like to be able to operate the truck in low/no lights conditions without the full headlamps being on.

I spoke with the dealership about pulling a relay or fuse and they said doing so would likely disable other important functions. I asked about reprogramming the computer and they said it wasn't possible.

Is anyone here familiar with how this might be done?

Old 10-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

You can do that with a tuner or someone who has software but thats too much money just for that. Hitting the dome light button on and off 2 times simultaneously will disable until the truck is restarted.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:43 PM

Not with this truck. As I said, it was built in Canada and first sold there, and Canuck law prohibits that function from being included with the headlights. At least, that's what the supplement to the owner's manual says, and the fact that the dome switch trick does nothing.

I was also curious if anyone else that works on these is familiar with this set up and how hard would it be to replace "whatever" the difference is between this and an American built 2000 with one from a junkyard, i.e., the switch, or just what? Right now, it appears that there is no way around this and no way to disable the automatic headlights.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:56 PM

if you wanna get rid of your daytime runners, you might wanna try to disable the sensor,. if you look on your dash near the windshield, in the middle of the dash, there is a little blackish bubble. about the size of a marble. i haven't looked at sierra's cuz i just baught mine but on my S10 it worked. anyways, if you can get access to that sensor just disconnect it and all your lights will not respond to the daytime sensor. i live in canada and bought mine in canada too.. like i said i have not checked on the sierra yet but it worked on my s10. good luck, let me know how it works for you. p.s most of the time those sensors are easy to remove just have pop it out usually.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Yeah that could work. If it does not throw a code then your in luck!

Old 10-09-2009, 03:51 PM

Totally off topic here, but why do you want to drive at night with no lights? Just curious.....

Old 10-09-2009, 04:49 PM

I do depredation control (coyotes, thus the "Cdog" in my "name") and my first job of the day involves me sneaking into an area under cover of darkness. My truck is how I get there and broadcasting my presence across a mile long swath of countryide by my headlights shining through the dark is a liability that coyotes alert to. I don't need to drive totally blacked out. I don't mind the parking, brake and clearance lights. Just the headlamps and would like to be able to turn them on and off by the switch only.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:06 PM

sounds like a stalker story..lol j/k