Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

DIY RAM AIR/ COLD AIR

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Default DIY RAM AIR/ COLD AIR

I am going to start my ram air cold air project today. I will post the progress as i go.

for those of you that have read my projects before you know i go as cheap as possible. so i am estimating about $20.00 total give or take 6.95 for beer. I already have a k&n so there is a huge cost out of the way.
I have been stewing on this for a while and i think i will mimic the ram air system for late model mustangs and follow the March design pretty close.

more to come.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:13 PM
Default RE: DIY RAM AIR/ COLD AIR

I am interested to hear the design and results.
If your system works, I might do me up one similar to it.

Good luck!

Old 01-23-2008, 08:23 PM

Thats Awesome man cant wait to see how it works.

ps take lots of pics

Old 01-23-2008, 08:26 PM

I had actually thought about making one out of my old vacum cleaner Im about to throw away.
Using the 1.5" hose, run from a hole cut into the airbox, into the flat-looking attachment in the grille with a piece of screen-door on it. But I was afraid water would get in.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:57 PM

I hooked up the preliminary system and it really seemed to work well. but i am skeptical so i will run it back the old way with a clean filter as a base and then take pics and do the write up for the new system.

question for you guys, do you think that by just running a cold air intake i would notice a significant gain over an open element? the system i am running covers up a lot of the filter and has an opening of 3.5 inches it is only getting air from the scoop in the bumper. oh well we'll see. it seems to have awakened running the piece meal new system. but the ram air is supposed to really be noticeable at high speed and not off the line like this is. I'll test some more..[sm=gears.gif]

also the exhaust note is acctually a little quieter at idle.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:22 PM

cod air should always be better than open element as long as there is a large enough diameter for the cold air to get in sufficiently.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:29 PM

I think all the air comming in has to have a place to go beside the filter. Thier might have to be a large intake and a small exit to keep the flow going.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:54 PM

but if it does all go to the filter you get the forced induction that you want.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:02 AM

thats true, the k&n i have is huge and it had to almost be forced in to the "box" i'm using which in turn seals it self in anmd only gets air from the 3.5 in opening for the ram tube. pictures will happen today!

Old 01-25-2008, 09:05 AM

What if I got 4" duct, slipped it over my cone air filter and ran it to the bumper in such a way that it will blow air into the duct?

Quick Reply: DIY RAM AIR/ COLD AIR