Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Don't Buy From TBI Guy

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 01:02 AM
Default Don't Buy From TBI Guy

So, I think I am a reasonable guy and try to do good business with everyone I meet. I have an '88 Shortbox Stepside Silverado 4x4 350 that I have been playing with for a few years...it just turned 70,000 original miles.

Still, I've been into Small Black Chevys all of my life, from the old points & condenser and carbs days to electronic ignition and TBI. I wanted to keep it fairly stock and reliable; I'm not trying to turn a 12 second quarter, I just want to pull a trailer through the mountain passes. Anyway, power is progressive; I could throw a 400 hp SBC but then would tear up the axles, etc. I decided to do everything I could without pulling the heads or cam...which leaves Intake/TBI, Ignition/Chip, and Headers/Exhaust.

So I found a TBI site (below) and followed their advice for ignition, headers, and exhaust. I wrote a nice letter saying good stuff about his site, yadda yadda. However, instead of buying one of his rebuilt TBIs...which is what he sells, custom TBIs...I opted for the Holley Projection. I figured "One guy, small shop vs. an Engineering Dept, Testing Facilities, and nationwide customer service." It was instant bolt-on horsepower. Anyway, you fill out a form describing your engine, vehicle, mods, and I mentioned the Holley.

Really, it is a good mod, not too pricey, and clear results. So, to top it off, I wrote this guy to buy a chip set for my truck...you see his response below. Now, I don't argue his math, but they are the same numbers for my 69 350...they don't change except the rpm the cam can handle...and I ran a Holley 650 Spread Bore on it. There are a lot of SBCs out there with 600 cfm Holleys on it, which kinda tosses his remark about air flow/cfm. I can move more air faster through my Holley 2 inch bores than he can through the stock 1 11/16 bores...that he bores out. Anyway, I'd love to see the dyno where any SBC loses 15% power after installing the Projection set and I'll bet Holley would, too. Again, an entire company in business for 100 years vs. a Bubba in NC. Fonally, he says he doesn't reccomend changes to the TBI on stock engines, but that is what he sells.

All that aside, what I was ordering was a chip, not a TBI unit. Next, he is in the business of selling products and services while I complete the transaction by handing over cash. His customer service skills are non-existent. But the part that you should pay attention to is his attitude towards stock or slightly overstock engines...which is about 90% of the trucks on the road, and truck owners. He has no respect for us, our engines, or our trucks...which is fine with me. He is a businessman, and focused on a very narrow market, which is shrinking every day. If he doesn't want our business, there are enough other businesspersons who do.

Notice that he doesn't say anything about the chip I was trying to order.

Stay away from this guy:

Well must not have read the site too well or you wouldn’t have all that holley **** on there. Holley TBI units are junk and on a stock 350 TBI engine which can’t possibly utilize 670cfm of air flow the motors have made 15 less hp on the dyno than with the stock TBI unit. That wimpy stock cam peaks at 3200 rpms and shouldn’t be run past 4000 rpms. Using http://www.carburetion.com/calc.asp that = 344cfm of air flow at 4000 rpms. Stock TBI unit flows 450cfm for PLENTY of air flow for that wimpy stock engine and even if you improve the cam to where the motor peaks at 5200 rpms your still only 447cfm or exactly the stock TBI unit air flow and so without changing out the poor flowing stock heads, I don’t recommend any TBI unit changes and I never recommend using that holley junk.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with your truck mods. I hope you get it straightened out soon for this coming summer.

I'm learning more and more that there are idiots operating small businesses AND MAKING A LIVING.
I don't understand... There is one guy here in my home town, He sells trailers and truck and trailer accessories. If you didn't buy your trailer from him, He won't sell you any parts.

But anyways. I feel your pain and don't understand why these kind of ignorant people are still in business.
THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP