Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

finally got around to an oil change on my truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 07:09 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default finally got around to an oil change on my truck

well jsut did the oil change on the truck today
also put some sea foam into the oil before i drained it put maybe 3 or 4 shot glass size full in there she didnt smoke at all she definantly bogged down and died out but didnt smoke but i new it was working cause i smelled it
anyway when i drained it the oil was really really black like its never been changed before
then i took off the filter and cleaned where the ring goes on the oil filter
then put the new filter on then put the plug in the pan back on then filled her full of oil till it read full on dipstick took 5 quarts exactly
i noticed when i started the truck after the change and numerous checking of the oil level that the driver side valve cover area was rattling real bad for a few seconds then quit only does that on start up im thinkin its the normal piston slap on start up but maybe some loose lifters or valve springs
also no metal shavings in the oil i made sure to check

Old 06-12-2011, 05:35 PM
Beginner

The best way to find metal shavings or particles is to cut open your oil filter, spread the media out and inspect it. If you have any metal to find, that's the best place to look.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:41 PM
TruckForum Addict

that is something i didnt know i learn new stuff everday thanks for the helpfull hint next time around in 3,000 miles when i change the oil again ill have to use that to see
but also when i removed the filter i had to do it the real old school way hammer and screw driver and twist it off the filter didnt have any shavings coming out so im good as far as that goes
and the rattling sound stoped since and hasent happend again

Old 06-12-2011, 05:43 PM

how old is your truck and how many miles?

and where did you put the seafoam when it bogged down?

also the oil looked really black because the seafoam broke off all the carbon and gunk that built up in your engine

Old 06-12-2011, 05:46 PM

and the rattling may have been due to maybe some gunk got knocked loose in a part of your valve and its free now and oil is now working its way in there..it should stop soon

and also your oil filter should not be that tight. it should be twisted on as tight as you can by hand and a quarter turn with the wrench.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:46 PM
TruckForum Addict

the truck has over 215xxx and i put in where you pour the oil in the valve cover

i was gonna use castrol high milage but the parts stores where out of it
so i went with castrol gtx regular 5w30 when i hit the 3,000 mile change ill be putting some heavyer oil as it will be getting close to winter
here and it can get down to -20
and yes i know that it should only be hand tight when put on but the guy i baught the truck from had some shadey people work on it when he owned it i took my truck and drove up to the shop where he had all his so called "ase" cert mechanics work on it and let me tell ya the place looked run down and about to fall down
so when i put the new one on i did it correctly

Last edited by cubpak89; 06-12-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by cubpak89
the truck has over 215xxx and i put in where you pour the oil in the valve cover

i was gonna use castrol high milage but the parts stores where out of it
so i went with castrol gtx regular 5w30 when i hit the 3,000 mile change ill be putting some heavyer oil as it will be getting close to winter
here and it can get down to -20
and yes i know that it should only be hand tight when put on but the guy i baught the truck from had some shadey people work on it when he owned it i took my truck and drove up to the shop where he had all his so called "ase" cert mechanics work on it and let me tell ya the place looked run down and about to fall down
so when i put the new one on i did it correctly
ooff yeah thats a case of laziness or undertrained people.

thats why im going to college for automotive and deisel. if i know how to do it ill reapir it myself

Old 06-12-2011, 07:07 PM
TruckForum Addict

yep ill be doing the same thing here in a couple years im gonna take my partial scholorship to wyotech and use my gi bill on the rest
both for automotive ase and autobody and deisel tech
i was a heavy track mehcanic in the army so im gonna go and boost my knowlage