Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Fog lights and High Beams at the same time mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 06:39 AM
TruckForum Addict
Default Fog lights and High Beams at the same time mod

Fog Lights on with High Beam Headlights Mod
This mod will allow the fog lights to remain on when the high beams are activated,
retaining the normal low beam and parking light operation.
Parts needed (Total cost approx $15):
30 Amp Relay – Use weather sealed unit w/ 4 wire harness. Bosch or Hella are preferred.
30 Amp Fuse link
6 - ft of 14 gauge automotive wire.
2 - Female T-tap wire connectors red awg 18-22
2 - Male T-tap spades awg blue 14-16
1 – 1/4” ID Ring Connector blue awg 14-16
1 – 3/8” ID Ring Connector blue awg 14-16
10 – Nylon Tie straps
Instructions (Photos forthcoming):
1. Remove front driver-side head light assembly. This is accomplished by swinging
forward the L-Pins and raising upward to remove. Pull headlight assembly forward to
remove and disconnect high-beam and low-beam connectors and set to the side.
2. Pull back the plastic conduit on the high beam wiring and attach a Female T-tap
approx 3” from bulb connector on the Green wire. (If you have already completed the
4 Way Headlight and/or DRL Mod, bypass this step)
3. Find a suitable grounded location to mount the relay. Add 1/4” ring connector to wire
coming from relay terminal 85, and insert bolt through ring connector, relay mounting
bracket, and reinstall. Optionally, if the fuse link has a mounting tab, you can attempt
to mount together with relay.
4. Run one wire from relay terminal 86, to high beam t-tap with a male spade connector.
Run wire through rubber shroud to the headlamp assembly area. (If you have already
completed the 4 Way Headlight and/or DRL Mod, remove existing male spade and
cut off. Strip wire end and twist together all wires and use a new male spade
connector. You will need to go to a yellow 10-12 awg connector.)
5. Go under the vehicle and pull back the plastic conduit on the Fog light wiring and
attach a Female T-Tap as far as you can reach from bulb connector on the purple
wire.
6. Run one wire from relay terminal 30, to the Fog light t-tap with a male spade
connector. Route upward along existing wiring harness and tie strap securely.
7. Run one wire from relay terminal 87 to one side of the fuse link.
8. Run one wire from the other side of the fuse link, to the red battery junction block
located near the drivers – side exhaust manifold. Open box and remove 17mm nut
taking care not to ground the tool. Crimp 3/8” ring connector on wire, insert ring
connector on post, and replace the nut and tighten. Close junction box and tie rap
wire along positive battery cable until you get near the fuse link and relay.
9. Reinstall headlamp assembly.
Job is complete. When you engage the high beams, the Fog lights will fire up irregardless
if they were on with the low beams. All other factory operation remains the same.
Notes: Take the time to properly seal all connections, properly support, and tie strap all
wires.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:21 AM
Default RE: Fog lights and High Beams at the same time mod

You can do the same thing on the 03 and newer trucks for about $5 with some diodes and heat shrink from Radio Shackwithout tapping into any wires or installing any relays or extra wires,if you could explain how to post pics I will show how I did this, I have been running around with this mod for six months now and have had no problems, its pretty easy and quick to do.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:24 AM
TruckForum Addict

I wish I knew how to post pics.... ****, i wish I had a digital camera...[sm=pcwhack.gif]

Old 04-19-2007, 08:38 AM

Ha, I was using my phone for a long time until recently, anyone know how this is done?[/align]

Old 04-19-2007, 11:25 AM
TruckForum Addict

Hemikiller can you explian how you did yours? And is everything else normal like low beams and you can turn low beams and fog light on and off. And then is everything on with your highbeams on? Thanks

Old 04-19-2007, 06:39 PM

To post the pics, click at the bottom of the post screen where it says "click here to upload". then click browse and go to where your pics are and select them. Make sure they are no larger than 500 KB a piece, you can resize them with adobe photoshop. Also click "Embed picture in post" so they will come up automatically instead of just a link.