Go Back   Truck Forums > Chevrolet/GMC Truck Forums > Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 65
Default fuel gauge, odometer light, and ABS light dashboard issues

1999 silverado 4.3L 5spd manual ext cab 115k

ABS and PARKING BRAKE LIGHTS started acting up many years ago. The dashboard warning lights for ABS and Parking Brake will lite up simultaneously, at seemingly random times. This only happens after the engine has been running for a while, never at first-start. Generally speaking, they will stay on, but will not be lit when I I take my next trip. Also, if I'm rolling down the highway and they lite up, I can turn the ignition switch back one click, wait a few seconds, then start the engine and they usually will stay off for a long time (hours).

FUEL GAUGE Several months ago my fuel gauge started acting up. At seemingly random times, the needle drops to zero and the Low Fuel warning light will come on. These occurrences have been short lived -- seconds or a minute -- and the needle activates again and registers the correct fuel level.

ODOMETER DISPLAY Also with in the past 6 months, the LED lights of the odometer/trip-meter don't lite up. This has gotten worse, and now they are usually off when I start the engine and never come on. The odometer seems to still work because when the odometer does lite up, the mileage seems to have updated. A few times, I have gotten the lights to come back on by pressing the switch odometer-trip button.

Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Truckforums!

Last edited by mic_in_chevy; 05-23-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 65
Default

found this:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/1999-c...-vt186164.html

"I had the same problem with my 1999 2 Wheel Drive Silverado, lost the gear selector and odometer display light. I took the Instrument Cluster out of the dash and unplugged the wiring bundle. I used White Lithium Grease, and with my finger, smeared a thin layer of grease, forcing it down in the holes on the end of connector. Then wiped the surface of the connector clean, plugged it back into the cluster, put the cluster back in the dash, turned the key on and the odometer and gear selector lights came up. It's been working for the last 3 day's now with out a hitch. Keeping my fingers crossed. The fuel gauge even works better than before. It’s not erratic now but a little slow to show how much fuel is in the tank."

Last edited by mic_in_chevy; 05-17-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 65
Default

and found this fix with a photo-guide for removing the instrument cluster ... this guy fixed by re-soldering a bad connection:

http://mrfixit.webnode.com/step-by-step-instruction/

Last edited by mic_in_chevy; 05-17-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Vegas, Baby, Vegas
Posts: 273
Default

Hey, nice job on the research. So did you try them out?
__________________
Tom
98 Silverado 5.0 X-Cab
Let's Go Red Wings!!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-17-2009, 09:22 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 65
Default

it turns out that the bezel for the instrument cluster really does pop-off as shown in the photo-guide. so that was encouraging ... i'll get to work on it this week though.

anyone know if white lithium grease is electrically conductive ? or ... what is the idea behind using it ?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-17-2009, 11:19 PM
Mr_Shamrock's Avatar
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,267
Default

Unfortunately you are looking at 3 seperate problems...

The ABS and Parking Brake light is more than likely the ABS sensor. When they both come on together that is 99% of the time what it is. The other 1% is the ABS module under the hood. My ABS sensor has been doing that for over a year now. It doesn't affect braking, and it seems to come on more when the roads are wet.

The fuel guage is the sender that is in the tank. They pretty much all go bad. GM has an upgrade kit to put in when you replace it.

The odometer light could be a bad contact as listed or the cluster itself could be going bad.
__________________
2003 Chevrolet Tahoe 4X4 5.3
2002 Chevrolet 2500HD 4X4 8.1 - BlackBear Tuned

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-18-2009, 01:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Vegas, Baby, Vegas
Posts: 273
Default

White lithium grease is non-conductive and might be used as a high-temperature resistant sealer for connectors. I suppose it would keep water and corrosion off the contacts.
__________________
Tom
98 Silverado 5.0 X-Cab
Let's Go Red Wings!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-23-2009, 12:23 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 65
Default

thanks RE 3 sep probs and RE non-conductive

I pressed the odometer button harder ... and the odometer now seems to be "on" nearly all the time. Fuel guage has not malfunctioned lately. So repairing those two dropped in priority and the ABS and Parking Light issue is on top.

I have some vague memory that the ABS-Parking issue might be due to a switch being out of adjustment ... as opposed to a bad sensor or a mal-adjusted sensor ... but do not remember any more than that.

thanks again for your helps

Last edited by mic_in_chevy; 05-23-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 65
Default

Odometer has been displaying correctly now for several months and several hundred miles ... the winning streak started when I pushed somewhat hard on the trip button.

Fuel Gauge still has same behavior

ABS and Brake indicator lights still have same issue, and damp weather or rain seem to make them come on (inappropriately) more often

Last edited by mic_in_chevy; 07-11-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Mr_Shamrock's Avatar
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,267
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock View Post
Unfortunately you are looking at 3 seperate problems...

The ABS and Parking Brake light is more than likely the ABS sensor. When they both come on together that is 99% of the time what it is. The other 1% is the ABS module under the hood. My ABS sensor has been doing that for over a year now. It doesn't affect braking, and it seems to come on more when the roads are wet.

The fuel guage is the sender that is in the tank. They pretty much all go bad. GM has an upgrade kit to put in when you replace it.

The odometer light could be a bad contact as listed or the cluster itself could be going bad.
I still stand behind my initial statement.
__________________
2003 Chevrolet Tahoe 4X4 5.3
2002 Chevrolet 2500HD 4X4 8.1 - BlackBear Tuned

Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:45 PM
 
 
 
Reply



Tags
1999, chev, conductor, dakota, dashboard, dodge, electrical, gas, gauge, grease, lithium, problems, silverado, white, working

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Our Sponsors
Advertising
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 PM.

Internet Brands, Inc.



SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.