Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Fuel pump removal.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Beginner
Default Fuel pump removal.

I'm pretty sure my fuel pump is gone in my 2001 4.8 extended cab 4x4, curious what is the easiest way to get at the fuel pump, can i drop the tank from the bottom, or do i have to take the box off? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Default RE: Fuel pump removal.

I would say take the bed off if you have an extra hand. Dropping the tank (for me anyways) is a pain while working under jack stands or the ground. Draining the fuel and get those pesky straps off can be a pain.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:34 PM

Ive never done it but ido know that you can do it either way. if you can get some help lifting the box off, Ive herd its easier that way.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:15 PM

8 bolts hold the bed on. Take those out, disconnect the fuel filler neck, and unhook the taillights and other wiring (towing harness if applicable). Use a cherry picker and straps or chain or about 4 guys to lift the bed off. Disconnect the fuel lines from on top of the gas tank. Take a hammer and flat bladed screwdriver and tap the cover counter-clockwise. Everything else is per instructions provided with the fuel pump. If you need rear shocks, it's a great time to do them.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:56 PM
TruckForum Addict

How the heck is that easier?! I did my dad's 00 Sierra fuel pump and I dropped the tank. He didn't have much gas in it so the tank wasn't heavy... I know if you have a full tank you'd wanna try to siphon some out but come on now. Get a big jack and jack up the tank just a hair, unbolt the straps, lower the tank down a tad, disconnect pump and fuel lines, change senders, reverse process for installation. Hhmmm........

By the way I think this only took us like 2 hours and that was going slow. This could easily be done in 45 minutes to an hour unless your a first time fuel pump changer.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:52 AM
Beginner

Thanks for the replies guys, got the tank situation figured out, one last question, wondering what aftermarket brand name i should go with, or should i stick with original GM part?

Old 01-23-2008, 04:31 AM

DELCO-DELCO-DELCO-DELCO

Old 01-23-2008, 08:23 AM
TruckForum Addict

If you have air tools you can remove to bed and replace the filter in 45 min to an hour easy. So much easier the droping the bed. I have done one dropping the tank and on the same truck with removing the bed and removing the bed is so much easier. And i have also done 3 trucks in the last 6 months and the bed removing was the way to go.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:38 AM

i agree with hunt. I just put my fuel pump on sunday and we took the bed off. and it was fairly simple but you cant forget to unhook your lights.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:40 PM

ORIGINAL: 72charger

How the heck is that easier?! I did my dad's 00 Sierra fuel pump and I dropped the tank. He didn't have much gas in it so the tank wasn't heavy... I know if you have a full tank you'd wanna try to siphon some out but come on now. Get a big jack and jack up the tank just a hair, unbolt the straps, lower the tank down a tad, disconnect pump and fuel lines, change senders, reverse process for installation. Hhmmm........

By the way I think this only took us like 2 hours and that was going slow. This could easily be done in 45 minutes to an hour unless your a first time fuel pump changer.
Where did I say it was easier? I simply gave instructions on how to do it that way. It's an option.

That aside - it CAN be easier depending on whether or not the straps are easily undone. Wrestle with some that don't come easily undone and tell me which is easier.

That's cool you did one on your dads truck, but talk to someone at a truck-oriented performance shop that replaces numerous pumps on a weekly basis and see how many prefer removing the bed to dropping the tank.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump removal.